06 TJ WITH OIL PRESSURE GAGE THAT FALLS TO ZERO WHILE At IDLE

Devildog

Computer good, oil pressure good, runs and drives good. Oil gage will take a dive to zero at the idle. Three mechanic shops have checked everything and none can locate the cause of the problem. Any ideas?

Have they doubled checked the sending unit and gauge to verify that the oil pressure does drop that much at an idle?

A mechanical gauge to confirm true pressure, BUT I would R&R sensor, aftermarket will be OK here, the connector is tricky - try utube for tutorial

this is a 4.0L?

Have they doubled checked the sending unit and gauge to verify that the oil pressure does drop that much at an idle?
Yes the oil pressure is fine and the oil sensor has been replaced. The computer module has also been replaced. All codes are also good.

Computer good, oil pressure good, runs and drives good. Oil gage will take a dive to zero at the idle. Three mechanic shops have checked everything and none can locate the cause of the problem. Any ideas?
My 01 TJ would drop oil pressure to zero at an idle until I changed the thermostat to a cooler temp, 185 or 190 if I remember correctly. Oil pressure runs good now and still plenty of heat.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

My 01 TJ would drop oil pressure to zero at an idle until I changed the thermostat to a cooler temp, 185 or 190 if I remember correctly. Oil pressure runs good now and still plenty of heat.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

What doesn't make sense is oil becomes more viscous at high temp. So it will drop but the thermo has little to do with oil pressure. 01 TJ should run a 195 deg thermo. Regardless the CPU will change the air fuel ratio to reach and maintain a 210 temp even with a 185 deg thermo. You either changed the oil you use or fixed the pump or sending unit.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

I want to second what JPNinPA posted - lets avoid the lower T'stats if we can - A discussion for another time.

OK you changed the sending unit - did you use a OEM jeep part?
tell us what oil you are using? 10W20 walmart and a fram filter?

I had this issue in Atlanta in summer with the GA 400 commutes first I tried LUCAS and oil pressure returned to 'normal' then played with oil quality and weight and a WIX fiter - ideally an oil cooler but that should not be needed

Back