Engine problems

Mikhala Stevens

Hey! I have recently moved out of state for nursing school from Michigan to South Carolina, and since then my jeep has been nothing but trouble. I'm not familiar with mechanics here in the upstate area, but I've taken my jeep to two mechanics so far and neither have been able to fix it, and I'm desperate for help! I have a 99 jeep wrangler tj, and it's having an issue with driving at a steady speed. Just going 35mph my jeep starts to Rev and lurch it's self forward continuously until it almost feels like it wants to stall. I personally thought it was a fuel pump issue but my recent trip to the mechanics got that replaced and it's still having issues. Any ideas???

Have you checked the throttlebody sensor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lets start with easy FREE checks..... take your jeep to a local auto parts store, many will scan the system for FREE- copy down any codes they give you and post here.

or get the codes yourself -- just turn key from off to RUN (not start) -off- run. off run , off run - the codes will appear where odometer is

Is the check engine light on?

Check the connection to the TPS and IAC. Clean the TB and IAC. If you replace either start with the TPS and only use OEM sensors.
Also consider the CKP and CPS.
After that the upstream O2.
There are tests for each that can be done before spending the $$

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app

What all have other mechanics tried to do? A fuel pump will in general give you rough idle and loss of power, but your issues seems like a TPS or speed sensor. Is this an automatic? do you have a core heater? Does cruise control work properly? I know some vacuum leaks can also cause similar issues, but most of the time will make cruise control act wonky or not at all.

Hey! Thanks for the feedback! The first mechanic I took it too replaced the map sensor/barrow because that's what the system reader said was wrong when they scanned it. After getting it back and having the same issues, I took it to another mechanic where they replaced the dist. cap and dist. rotator. Drove it around for about an hour and had the same revving issues, so I took it back and had them replace the fuel pump and filter (that was my bad guess on what was causing the issue), and that didn't work, so now it sits in the parking lot. Since getting the jeep back from the last visit, the engine light has not turned on...But yes, it is an automatic and it does have a core heater. As far as the cruise control, I only really drive from class to my apartment which is less than a 10min drive, so I'm not sure if it works or not but I will check.

A thought - next time it starts to 'act up' - shift to N - let us know if it smooth's out while in N.

Did you try accessing the codes as per the above video ?

Back