New Guy Need Some Help

harleybeachbum

Got a 2002 Jeep Wrangle 4.0 5 speed and when I start off and get up to 3000 rpm in 1st it will cut back.Than in 2nd it will do the same thing.I did some reading reading on the inter net and found out that it might be the tp sensor.I change it out and it work for a couple days and started back doing the same thing. Any suggestions would be appreciated.THANKS Harleybeachbum

step 1 get the vehicle scanned - yes even if light is off.
scans are FREE fast and easy at most auto parts stores. POST all numbers here, someone will advise.

step 2 check fuel pressure using a gauge.

By cut back do you mean the engine shudders like a misfire? This will happen at 3000RPM
Or, do you mean the RPMs drop but the engine runs fairly smooth? If so you are on the right track with the TPS. DId you use an OEM sensor? That makes a big difference.

With the engine off manually move the butterfly 30-50 tomes. Check the connectors and clean any dirt from theTB. Actually cleaning the TB, the IAC and TPS and the battery cables and grounds (both ends) are maintenance that should be done every 30k miles. Also, running the engine above 3300 rpm for a 1-2 min duration allows the valves to rotate and minimize the chance for carbon buildup. If it is built up, you could sea foam or water treat to clean the carbon.

With a 2002 you could do the key dance and the codes will show in the codes in the odometer. So if you turn the key to the ON position (not start) then OFF then ON ... Three times the codes will show.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Back