Rear tow hooks

jeepin_madness

OK guys, I need to put a set of tow hooks on the rear of my YJ. Anybody have any idea of how the best way to go about installing them is?[addsig]

Purchase a bumper with D-ring's or just weld a set to the rear frame.

Johnny[addsig]

DON'T weld tow hooks to the frame. Bolt them on with Grade 8 bolts. Just drill two holes through the frame and bolt the tow hook up.

TARSI[addsig]

I have a 2" reciever on the back. Works great as a tow point, and multi-tasks (can I use that word here lol) as a bike rack, storage basket, rear winch point (reciever mounted hitch plate), and also has saved my gas tank from a couple of sevear bangs.

Rob :p :cool: :) [addsig]

I was thinking of either buying a ow hook adapter for a 2" receiver (about $45) or bolting a tow hook you buy at AutoZone on a piece of steel that goes into the 2" receiver. I'm probably going to make my own. [addsig]

I use neither...I bought a pin for the reciever. Now I just drop the pin through the loop on the strap, and clip it, and start the yanking
Nothing extra to buy, and instant tow point.

Rob :p :cool: :) [addsig]

Hello, I am not sure if they are spaced the same on a YJ. But on a CJ, you can unbolt the rear spring hanger and use these bolt holes to mount a Aftermarket tow hook. Yoiu can find these at Autozone or Advanced auto parts. The holes in the tow hook are exactly spaced to line up with the holes on the hanger. You may need longer bolts, but use grade 8 bolts washers and nuts. ;-) [addsig]

I bolted tow hooks to the side of the frame, in front of the rear shackle. Grade 8 bolts all the way through the frame.[addsig]

I've seen the D-rings available already welded to a steel plate. All you have to do is drill the plate and bolt it to your rear bumper which should already be mounted to your frame.
If you do get the one for the receiver, the one with the shackle mount looks much better...you won't have to worry about the tow strap slipping off because it's not a hook. I know they are available from Warn but I'm sure there are other, companies out there who make them cheaper.[addsig]

Back