Clockspring?

southtj

My airbag light has recently come on and wondering if it's the clockspring or it could be something else. From what I've read, the cruise control, horn and airbag all use the clockspring for electrical connection. My horn works but my cruise control hasn't worked since I got the Jeep a bit over a year ago. The airbag light came on about a week ago and was on for less than a day and then went off. It's been off all week and this weekend came on again and stayed on until today when it went off, on, off then on again in just a few minutes. I was going around a big S curve when the off/on was happening.

Does this sound like the clockspring or should I check something else? I wasn't sure if the clockspring could go bad all at once or parts of it could go out one at a time.

My jeep jk [2010] was recalled twice to fix/repair the clockspring so you might want to check and see if it's covered.

I think you nailed it.
Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

Thanks for the second opinion, I kinda figured it was. I've never removed a steering wheel but I may give this one a try myself instead of taking it to the shop. The videos make it seem pretty easy except for the threat of an explosive detonation of the airbag.

My jeep jk [2010] was recalled twice to fix/repair the clockspring so you might want to check and see if it's covered.

Thanks, but mines an 03 so probably not covered.

If you do a search on your VIN it should show if there are any open recalls. I was all prepared to fix a transmission line leak when I found a 'silent' recall that covered it. I used to have a cherokee that had the rotors recalled when it was 10 yrs old.

Thanks, mark sr. I just checked the NHTSA and Mopar websites and there are no outstanding recalls for my VIN.

Have you had any other dash cluster issues besides the airbag light? I bad BUS connection to the gauge cluster can cause all sorts of problems.

Back