TJ AX15 Transmission Mystery Part

JeepJerk

Hey Y'all,

I pulled the AX15 transmission out of my 98 TJ about 6 months ago with the intention of rebuilding it (it was popping out of second gear when decelerating, driving me nuts). I pulled it all apart, got a master rebuild kit and ended up getting distracted by other projects. It sat on my bench like that until a couple weeks ago when I finally got around to putting it back together. That's all done but I have this plastic piece left over. I know it went to something that I took apart early on, hopefully it's external since I've got the whole thing ready to go in and I sure wouldn't want to tear it back apart. Anybody recognize this piece? It's about the diameter of a quarter. download (1).pngdownload.png

AisinAX15-1.jpg

I don't see it in the diagram. I'm thinking a grommet for a feed through or part of the master cylinder?
Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Last edited:
Yeah I don't see it in the diagram either. I put all parts in bins in order during disassembly, this must have been something that came off early in the process since it was in one of the first bins. Can't be part of the master cylinder since I haven't touched that. Guess it can't be that important if no one knows what it it!

Thanks JPNinPA! I have the trans/transfer case installed, have looked everywhere and still don't see a place where this part seems to go. Guess I'll find out if it's critical or not soon....kind of doubt it. I appreciate your help!

Back when I was a youngster my mother's mixer died. I pulled it out of the trash, disassembled it and put it back together. Despite having a few leftover parts it worked. I thought I had me a new toy [not sure for what] but my mother discovered it was working and put it back in service for several yrs. When it died the next time I couldn't resurrect it.

More than once I've put something back together and had a leftover part - often it doesn't pose a problem especially when it's something you can't ID were it goes. wish you luck!

I figured I’d post this for posterity.

i had the same part fall out of my tranny when I split it open. It looked like this thing has been opened several times as it had three different colors of RTV on the flanges, so I figured it was installed wrong.

Anyway, I had my tranny apart for a couple months waiting for replacement gears etc. that were backordered and lost a lot of sleep over this one. No parts catalogs show it even as an unlisted part of the drawing, scoured the Internet and couldn’t find any mention of it, watched rebuild videos on YouTube and don’t see it anywhere… but this morning I suddenly had an epiphany, behold!

ADCB5759-9ABC-4CAC-A059-3F0A7E7326EE.jpeg

Back