Antifreeze Leak

navygm1

2006 Jeep Wrangler 4.0L
I just replaced my stock radiator and thermostat. After I filled back up with antifreeze (G05 Zerk), ran it for a bit with heater on, I noticed a bunch of antifreeze on the ground. Got on the ground a nd looked up and saw fluid (antifreeze) leaking down. I assume that it is the weep hole on the water pump.

My question is am I right in my assumption?

Not necessarily.
Why did you replace the thermo and radiator?
Where was the leak coming from?
If you didn’t clean the old gasket off or if the thermo moved while installing you could have leak out of the bottom of the thermo housing.
Iv also had the spring clamps go bad. So when it heats, it leaks. Or when the spring makes marks in the hose over time and isn’t put back in the groove leaks happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

Last edited:
Have you "burped" the system to remove air? It could be overflow due to the system not yet being fully purged or a too full system making room for expansion.

I replaced my radiator due to the plastic housing breaking and steam coming out. Replaced the stat for just encase.
Water coming down from behind the harmonic balancer and across the front of the oil pan, so I assume the water is coming from the pump weep hole.
Yes I burped, oh you mean did I burp the radiator?, yes.

Sent from my iPad using Jeepz.com mobile app

Being you just changed the thermo. Take a flashlight and mirror and check the thermo housing and hose.
I replaced a pump when it was the hose clamp. Where that is where the coolant was coming from.

Also be sure you didn’t crack the thermo housing by over tightening.

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

Back