Help me find this squeaking sound

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
I replaced all the ujoints in my rear driveshaft, thinking that would take care of it. I also greased two of the three in my front driveshaft (the third isn't greasable), however no real change.

I get a very faint high pitched squeak when driving. Seems to be more when I let off the gas / coast, and less when I'm accelerating. Any thoughts on how to isolate this sound? I suppose my next step will be to remove the front driveshaft and drive around, but that's a pain to get to with my skidplates.

FYI - this squeak started during my last offroad trip.

Is the squeak constant like a whistle or like a chirp?
Does the frequency increase with speed?
Does it stop when not moving?
Dies it ever go away?
Is anything else going on like a high idle?

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

A chirp that increases / decreases with speed. Stops when not moving. Sometimes I don't hear it at all.
I can ear it better when riding next to an object / wall, so my guess is that it's under the jeep.

Does the front driveshaft turn when in 2WD?

Yes in most cases. The front hubs are constantly locked and engage with the axels and shaft. It's only when the transfer case is engaged in 4x4 hi or low that it is powered by the engine. But I thought you put in manual locking hubs? Didn't you?

Id use what you know. What if you passed between two people letting them listen yo both sides to determine left right front back. Then start by spraying something with penetrating oil. Start with the u joints or wheel bearing. See if the sound goes away. If in the rear blow the dust out of the drum brake or parking brake.

When wheeling did you have any hard drops or wheel through water?

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

My thoughts:
Wheel bearing
Bent axel or axel housing
Axel beAring
U joint
Hub dirt
Rock/dust on brakes
Brake wear indicator
Dust shield scraping.
Dirt in rear brake drum parking brake drum

Are your axel trussed?
Did you drop hard on anything?
Torque hard on anything?
Wheel hard?
Water crossing
Large articulation?

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

Last edited:

You'll get that warm feeling from helping your internet friend!

I decided to stop buying parts for a minute and actually do some diagnosis. I jacked up the front end and found this:

I'm not sure if that's the squeak that I'm hearing in the driver seat, but it is definitely A squeak.
I greased these ujoints two days ago, and it still squeaks. I'm wondering if the rubber cup in the middle of the double cardan joint has broken loose and is flopping around (I can't remember the exact name for it).

Unfortunately, after replacing the ujoints in my rear driveshaft I seem to have developed a vibration when I'm accelerating. I"ll have to add that to the list of things to fix.

Not sure what to say. I agree the squeak might not be the one you are looking for. I doubt it gets loud enough to hear with engine running.

Also do you have a small tripod to hold the camera steady? It's tough to differentiate from the cuts in the joint to wobble in the joint ot output.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

I replaced a rear u joint and got rid of the vibration that I introduced when I first tried to fix it.

So, I tried to take it for a drive, and the squeak isn't there. I sprayed everything with WD40 the other day, so we'll see if it comes back in a day or two.

Back