New guy looking for a mentor

Hytoff

I'm fairly confident I'll be the most boring owner on this forum. I'm looking for a "me" jeep (Not for kid hauling or trailer pulling) with no frills or significant mods. I'm saving over the next several months to make my purchase for a dependable 4 banger. I can turn a wrench and weeks an ugly bead if needed, but would really like to avoid a lot of computer controls. I ding know much about the different J models yet, but starting this journey I'm interested to learn as much as possible.

What I do know about my future jeep :
Not climbing or mudding
No 4 doors
No jeep shows or jamboree
No fancy light or muffler package
Midwest comparable (hardtop and 4x4)
Manual or automatic
Little to no rust
No Cherokee
90s to early 2000s (Maybe earlier if found)
$4-6000

I'm not sure what I want exactly...I know what I'm not interested in.

I know most advice will be to read the forum threads...I plan on that. But anything else given would be much appreciated.

~Be Courageous~
Hytoff

Last edited:

It can be hard for kids or anyone to access the back seat without 4 doors. Also, your not hauling much with a 4 banger.

My wife would prefer a 4 door jk but I like my 2 door.
IMO you just need to keep looking until you find the one you want [or close to what you want]

The 2003-2006 unlimited TJ that some call LJ is 2 door with more length. It only comes 4.0 straight 6.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

The 2003-2006 unlimited TJ that some call LJ is 2 door with more length. It only comes 4.0 straight 6.

He's gonna be hard pressed to stay under 6k for an LJ. They seem to have shot up in price.

Sounds like you're describing a YJ to me - they Wrangler with Square headlights. You could get a really nice YJ for 6k. The TJs (round headlight Wranglers) started up in 97, and you could probably get an early one of those inside your price range.

Back