It began with hesitations; now loss of power, high RPMS, and whining.

macromandan

2011 JK Unlimited Sport, Automatic.

Yesterday afternoon, engine light and gas cap warning came on. Checked codes. P0456 and P0457. Checked cap, cleared codes and CEL; came back on upon next engine start. Replaced fuel cap. Checked connections and seals with evap canister and purge valve.

Decided to keep driving it until I can have further tests done.

‘Now this morning is when all the issues really escalated!

7am. Experienced gentle hesitations backing out of driveway.

7:05am. 3 miles later Check engine light came on around exit 118.

7:15am. After stop and go traffic this morning we all finally got up to about a constant 35mph around mile marker 121-123. Engine at around 2000rms and hesitating.

7:20am. Mile marker ~124. When pressing the throttle, the Jeep does not accelerate but the RPM races to 3000-5000rpms. It will hold 35mph though; but now has a whining sound starting to develop and get louder, especially when going up hill.

Hesitations cannot be felt anymore but the issue with the RPM raising as I press the throttle are extremely noticeable and continuing.

7:30am. Slowly took Jeep to nearest Jeep dealer.

Was the hesitation in the engine or transmission? Like hesitating to shift?
How many miles on the vehicle?
Have you checked/changed the transmission fluid and checked its color lately?

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

92k miles. I checked transmission fluid levels last week. Normal color. There was a gentle quivering hesitation in the engine when backing out of driveway. While driving to work this morning is when it got bad. Pressed the accelerator around 35mph to increase speed and the engine just revs to 3-5k rpms just like it’s in neutral. That’s what I meant when I was talking about loss of power. I’m wondering now if the clutches in the transmission are out. There’s just a lot going on at the same time with the emissions codes being thrown at the same time as this issue.

Was the hesitation in the engine or transmission? Like hesitating to shift?
How many miles on the vehicle?
Have you checked/changed the transmission fluid and checked its color lately?

If the engine is hitting 3-5K without accelerating I’m thinking transmission.

What rpm fo you idle at? Above 750?

If engine was stumbling and staying low rpm & low speed, there would be a number of items to verify.

You are not in 4x4 hi or low are you!?!?

Just heard back from the mechanics. It’s in need of a total transmission overhaul, a new evap canister, purge valve, and coil packs. $4500. 🤢

If the engine is hitting 3-5K without accelerating I’m thinking transmission.

What rpm fo you idle at? Above 750?

If engine was stumbling and staying low rpm & low speed, there would be a number of items to verify.

You are not in 4x4 hi or low are you!?!?

That link wasn’t helpful for transmission repair; however... thank you so much for that link LOL. Ive probably spent about an hour browsing and enjoying all the info about other repairs and maintenance.

I dont think I would overhaul the transmission, Hunt for another one at the junk yards. It do not necessarily have to come from a jeep. I believe that some of the dodge trucks have the same tranny, dakota I think.

That link wasn’t helpful for transmission repair; however... thank you so much for that link LOL. Ive probably spent about an hour browsing and enjoying all the info about other repairs and maintenance.

My point is there are means to check costs and that you are receiving the correct work.

Look into the 42RE history buying used can be buying the same issue. A good rebuild shop will address those issues.

Here saved extra work.
https://www.transmissionrepaircostguide.com/jeep-wrangler-transmission-problems/

https://www.transmissionrepaircostguide.com/42rle/

https://www.midwesttrans.com/auto_trans_jeep.html
Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Last edited:
Back