So now I need some new brake lines

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
Coming home from work, I was in the right lane when the guy in the left lane one car length ahead decided he wanted to make a right turn. He turned right in front of me, and I stood on the brakes. I knew something was wrong immediately, because while I came to a stop, the pedal went down to the floor. Luckily I didn't hit him. I was only two blocks from home, and drove 5mph using the emergency brake to stop. I later checked it out to see that everything's covered in brake fluid

IMG_20190920_171303.jpeg

It may be hard to see from the photo, but it's leaking from the extended brake line.

So, what are some good options for brake lines when you've got 2.5 inches of suspension lift?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Jeepz.com mobile app

Last edited:
They were crown brake lines, but it's been so long that I can't remember much more than that.

Any tips on what I should replace them with? I don't really want to go with stock length. RockAuto has some SUNSONG for $20 a set, and some stainless for $90 all the way around (I have a Ford 8.8, so don't need rears).

oops, I didn't read your message well enough - I thought you were asking if they were Crowns.

That seems to be the only affordable game in town.

I edit on the fly. Initially 30 sec I did ask that.

So somewhere I read YJ lines can be used on a TJ and are longer than stock.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

I noticed this comment when I looked at those:
[FONT=&quot]TJ owners, you will need to buy 1/16" thick copper washers. These come with 1/32" thick washers and will leak on the caliper side.[/FONT]

That's really the only thing that prevented me from going with those.

I believe if you go the YJ route the washer comment still stands no matter what brand.
Its just a washer it shouldn’t break the bank

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

Last edited:
I received the duralast brake lines from AutoZone today. I'm pretty happy with them. I'm not sure if the silver metal portion is coated to prevent rust or not, but time will tell.

IMG_20190923_175820~2.jpeg

It is about the same length as the crown line it's replacing

IMG_20190923_182245.jpeg

IMG_20190923_184721.jpeg

IMG_20190923_184702.jpeg

IMG_20190923_184715.jpeg

You can see where the old line me burst

IMG_20190923_182302.jpeg

IMG_20190923_182300.jpeg

I was able to lock up the brakes after replacing the lines. Hopefully these will last a while

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Jeepz.com mobile app

Back