Out Boarding Spring Hangers on a 72 CJ5 Frame to fit a 74-76 Cherokee Dana 44

72CJ_Shadow

Evening Everyone,

I have a 1972 CJ5 I am rebuilding and I have a question to ask the community here. The quick back story of this build is that it was my grandfather's Jeep and I am having to identify what parts he had used and changed over the years in various upgrades. Anyway, I am looking at a TDK frame for the build (Current frame is broken between the leaf springs and is beyond repair), but need advice about whether I need to out board the spring hangers on the new frame to accommodate the current Dana 44 axle from a 1974-1976 Cherokee (BOM #603462-6).

Originally I thought he had put a Scout II axle under there which I believe is significantly wider than the CJ frame and while the old frame broke at a C-Frame section I had always wondered if the wider axle had caused additional stress since the spring hangers were not outboarded. However, now that I have actually gotten under there I am certain based on the BOM # that it is a Cherokee (or Wagoneer) Dana 44 which is not as wide as a Scout II. Has anyone had experience with anything similar? And if so how did you decide how far to outboard? I will try to start posting pictures as I make progress and would appreciate any help everyone can offer here. Thanks!

I can't answer your questions, however I'd love to see some photos.

Back