Starting my jeep off starter with screwdriver cuz ignition just crapped out.

Your post is confusing to me. Since I’m not exactly sure what your symptoms are I’ll list a couple scenereos and related problems.

1. Your Jeep doesn’t crank with the key but starts fine with your screwdriver method.

The starter signal from the ignition to the starter is being interrupted. Could things like a faulty aftermarket alarm, starter solenoid or relay. To check if it’s the ignition switch. Find out the wire color for the starter wire at the ignition and see if it gets 12v while turning the key to start. If it doesn’t then the ignition is bad.if it does then the problem is from the ignition to the starter.

2. Your Jeep doesn’t start with the key and only cranks when you short 12v to the starter wire on the starter.

This could be a blown main power fuse.check the main fuses and if they look good pull them and reseat them. I’ve seen this fix cherokees. If it doesn’t help find the constant 12v power wire to the ignition and test it. If it has 12v move on to testing the ignition wires. If they don’t get 12v when turning the key on the ignition is bad.

3. If your Jeep cranks but doesn’t start with the key and the screwdriver method.

This is the most common as there’s a lot of things that can cause it. This is what happens when your vehicle doesn’t recognize the chip in the key, your fuel tank is empty, fuel filter is clogged or you don’t have spark.

Last edited:
Back