Time to redo my TJ steering again - looking for opinions on these parts

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
It's been a couple of years, and my steering is sloppy again. I'm planning on using some ZJ parts on my TJ this time around, and replacing everything:

DS1430 TJ OUTER CONNECTING TIE ROD END - PASSENGER SIDE-Right Outer (Drag Link) (x1)
ES3096L TJ FRONT OUTER TIE ROD END - AT PITMAN ARM (x1)

DS1312 ZJ Tie Rod (x1)
ES3096L ZJ FRONT OUTER TIE ROD END - AT PITMAN ARM (x1)

ES2079S Adjusting Sleeve (x2)

New steering stabilizer

Moog K3176 Track Bar Bushing (Axle side trackbar bushing on my setup)

Do you guys normally replace the Adjusting Sleeves when you do front end work? They don't look like a part that would wear out. At $25 for the pair it won't break the bank, but I'd rather spend that money on candy.

Any thoughts on my parts list? I'm looking at the ZJ tie rod as it's supposed to be solid, and a direct swap.

Got to ask. Why so often is steering going sloppy?
Running 35s
Constant DW
Hard off-roading?

I upgraded my steering preventatively last time was DW took out drag link TRE and track bar.
I bought this
Crown Automotive HDSTRGCR1 Heavy Duty Steering Kit
Verdict still out but read a lot of people converted were happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

Last edited:
Every two years or so I develop death wobble. At first it's not too bad, but after a few months it gets to where I can't go over 50 unless it's a straight line. I don't offroad too much, probably twice a year, but I try to whoop it up when I go. I've got new 33s on it, and it's got a 2.5 inch suspension lift.

The cause is usually something I can put my finger on - I can see the axle side trackbar bolt moving, or I can see play in a tie rod end. I've usually patched one thing at a time, and the blend of used components and new just causes the new to wear out faster - for example, replacing the trackbar, but not the draglink.

Once I replace the tie rod ends it normally drives perfect for a year or so.

Tell me more about your steering upgrade, it sounds interesting.

The Jury is still out on this upgrade for me. It went on back in Aug. And since then I’ve been needing a clutch and some help swapping it out. My helper :) will be back in town soon. So the upgrade has minimal miles on it. Prior was stock replacement components. For DW.

The upgrade is stock for a cherokee and used solid bars in place of tubing. It is a drop in replacement.

Beyond that i changed to JKS adj track bar to get rid of the axel being off center. I wish the JKS had two jamb nuts as mine loosened. I ended up using blue loc tite.

Biggest improvement for me to get rid of the boat like roll when turning was the sway bar and links... but most of the entire suspension was changed.

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app IMG_0034.JPG

Last edited:

Terry you're experiencing loose steering on your TJ.

I'm again experiencing loose steering on my 2011 JK Sport 2.5 Iift, 265/70/17 tires, no death wobble.

A couple months ago I bought the Rubicon Express 1683 track bar from 4WheelParts also had them install it. They told me that would take care of the loose steering. It did for awhile but it's back. What am I missing?

What's your take on loose steering and what causes it?RubiconExpress-1683.jpeg

Sent from my LG-H918 using Jeepz.com mobile app

Back