Axle upgrade recs - YJ w 30/31" tires?

Joe Capraro

Hi all - just picked up the third YJ of my long and Jeep-filled life (also had an XJ and a 76 Waggy at various points) and boy oh boy does this one have a useless rear end. 3.07 open diff D35, got stuck in mud that shouldn't have trapped a Jeep of any kind last weekend. I will be using this one mostly as a DD but do want beach and trail capabilities. All of the axle swap advice I can find is for 33" and up, but I don't ever plan on running anything bigger than 30 or 31 (the body mounts are squished so I have 235 Duratracs on there until I can lift it an inch or so).

I'm guessing regearing to 3.73 is probably best, and there are plenty of posi 8.8s around for the rear, but I'm at a loss as to what to do in front. I could regear and add an LSD or locker, but the expense of those upgrades plus chromoly shafts is probably more than a junkyard hp30 or 44, no? Or do I just try and find a matching set of 44s? I also would like to get rid of the vacuum disconnect, so if I stick with the D30 it's another $150 to get rid of that. Hellllllllp.

PSX_20191227_074615.jpg

Last edited:
Back