Aftermarket power window switch???

Joesmith

I have an 07 wrangler jk 2door. My driver side power window intermittently doesn’t work in the down position.
i checked everything with a multimeter and the only thing I can find was the continuity in the switch between power peg and down peg.

the cheapest I can find a replacement was kinda high, was wondering if I can replace the factory switches with any kind of after market switches.

any advice or tales of trial and error, appreciated

0A47B4EB-34D3-406D-AFD2-DE28E6C17E5F.jpeg
Look at Rockauto.com

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

yeah I looked at those, still kinda pricey. That’s why I asked if aftermarket accessory switches could be used.
Something like these

Last edited:
Oh. I thought you meant just not MOPAR parts but Dorman or others.
Yes you likely need momentary switches. And be sure its only the switch by jumping it.
Junkyards are another source.

So will those after Market switches pictured work?
what is the difference in switches?

Momentary switches are ones that circuit is normally open where no current flows. Then as long as you hold the switch on the circuit is active. If it were on a light the light would only be on while the switch is depressed. What may be needed is double pull double throw momentary switch.

Single pole or double pole switches can be off or on. Like a light switch in your house. So you would only have up or down but not both.
Doubly pull double throw rocker will allow up or down. You have to rock to the center point to stop. If left up or down the motor may burn up.

Windows operate momentarily otherwise they would be only up or down and nothing in between also you would burn the motor if left on in the on position.

Typical auxiliary switched are single pull single throw. For fog lights or on/off circuits. You would have to send the link to the switches to comment on the pic you posted.
Hope this helps

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Momentary switches are ones that circuit is normally open where no current flows. Then as long as you hold the switch on the circuit is active. If it were on a light the light would only be on while the switch is depressed. What may be needed is double pull double throw momentary switch.

Single pole or double pole switches can be off or on. Like a light switch in your house. So you would only have up or down but not both.
Doubly pull double throw rocker will allow up or down. You have to rock to the center point to stop. If left up or down the motor may burn up.

Windows operate momentarily otherwise they would be only up or down and nothing in between also you would burn the motor if left on in the on position.

Typical auxiliary switched are single pull single throw. For fog lights or on/off circuits. You would have to send the link to the switches to comment on the pic you posted.
Hope this helps

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

dude! Thanks that helps a ton. Thank you.

now I know what kinda switch I need, I just have to make sure it’s the right amps, right?

something like these

https://www.amazon.com/EEEkit-2-pac...double+momentary+switch&qid=1578960433&sr=8-5

First id disassemble and look to clean the switch. Likely gunk or oxidation rust from rain getting in is the issue. Clean it up.
https://youtu.be/M-BR0e0qmfQ

If that doesn’t work go to the junk yard.
Id still buy oem if i could before butchering the look.
But you got to do what you got to do sometimes.

I'd definitely want to inspect the switch first! I had a cherokee years ago that had one window that didn't work. When I opened up the door panel I found out the connector to the switch was bad - all I had to do was rework the plug.

BTW when locating the video, I found the replacement switches as cheap as $60. And as much as 300.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Back