Help please. I’m BRAND NEW to Jeeps!

Dom P.

I am a new, proud owner of a 1982 Jeep CJ-8. It has an inline 4cyl iron duke and manual transmission. I researched the vin on 3 different websites to find that the truck was originally an automatic.

That is about all I know about this truck. I am not familiar at all on Jeep lingo which is why it is difficult for me to find information on things I want to do to this thing. My main concern is swapping the motor which will require a new complete drive train. I found a 318 Magnum V8 out of a 90s Grand Cherokee, complete with harness, auto trans, and full time AWD transfer case. The price is unbeatable and the drive train has only about 40k on it. I need help finding information on axle work. I know nothing about gear ratios but I know I want to run 35”-37” tires. Leaf springs; does the axle determine whether I mount over or under? Drive shafts; with I have to go fully custom or is there an aftermarket option for this setup.

I would also like to know if anyone can identify the axles and transfer case that are currently on the truck and if they can work with a V8. I am assuming no because they are meant to be driven by a 4 cylinder.

The person selling my the drive train also said he has Dana 44s front and rear that will need to be re geared to match. Does that mean I need to match one to the other? What does it take to get these axles on the truck?

I am not afraid to do some fabrication and I am mechanically inclined to do most work myself aside from re gearing because I don’t want to be the one who fuses the grenade. I just signed up today and I am excited to be a part of this forum. Like I stated before, I am in uncharted territory and all your help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

IMG_2316.JPGIMG_2321.JPGIMG_2323.JPGIMG_2324.JPG

Here I have included pictures of the rear axle, front axle, and transfer case. I’m hoping someone can identify them. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

Welcome to the forum.

My experience and knowledge is not in the CJ arena. But i will share what i do know.
Novak has a great book on engine, trans and transfer case setup. Even parts to make things work.

Front and rear differential gearing needs to match. You might have different housings but ratios must match.

http://www.novak-adapt.com/

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

Back