1. '99 Jeep Wrangler TJ radiator issue

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum, but I honestly didnt know where else to go because i cant find anything online.

So my clueless brother overfilled the radiator overflow to an EXTREME and blew off the coolant drain plug on my jeep. I just got the correct piece, only to realize that the part that the drain plug screws in to is GONE. I dont know if he tried messing with it or if it came off with the plug, but I do not know what that piece is called or where to find it.

The radiator can hold no coolant right now because the plug can't actually seal it. Does anyone know the name of the piece that the drain plug needs to screw into?

Edit: After some more digging, it seems as though the piece is called a retaining clip, but I cannot for the life of me find anywhere to obtain a new one

Thank you in advance!
    Last edited by Thurst; 02-14-2020 at 06:32 PM.

Re: '99 Jeep Wrangler TJ radiator issue

So I don't know if I should delete this or not, but I figured out that with the piece that came out was connected to the radiator itself, meaning I have to replace the entire radiator.

Yes the entire radiator needs to be replaced. However overfilling the overflow or expansion tank will not cause an issue.

The radiator failed from either a weak point or a bad radiator cap.
    The cap is s pressure release cap so as the engine heats the liquid expands raiding pressure until the cap opens. Then fluid pushes into the expansion tank. When engine cools the fluid is drawn back in.

There may be other issues but the cap was bad or stick,

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app
    "Never look down on anybody unless you're helping him up" - Jesse Jackson

A shop might be able to put on a new connector, but most likely you are looking at a new radiator.

As noted above, I don't see how filling the radiator could damage it...any excess will just over flow.

Check to make sure you don't have a blown gasket that is allowing cylinder pressure to pressurize the cooling system.

Checkout RockAuto as they should have the radiator in stock at a good price. Google RA online for 5%off code that can help save on shipping.

Buy OEM radiator. OEM has a higher fin density (cooling per sqr in)

"Never look down on anybody unless you're helping him up" - Jesse Jackson

Seems maybe the cap wasnít put back on in the correct position ? I canít imagine blowing out that plug unless it was 90% water and a weak radiator. 🤔

8. Re: '99 Jeep Wrangler TJ radiator issue

So I don't know if I should delete this or not, but I figured out that with the piece that came out was connected to the radiator itself, meaning I have to replace the entire radiator.

9. Re: '99 Jeep Wrangler TJ radiator issue

'99 Jeep Wrangler TJ radiator issue-img_1502.jpg

You have to appreciate this site, Talk Jeeps so many discussions over issues to make yours Great.

10. Re: '99 Jeep Wrangler TJ radiator issue

I have never had any issues with this place.

You have to appreciate this site, Talk Jeeps so many discussions over issues to make yours Great.

I have also used that site multiple times for various vehicles over the yrs.