Need advice on Grand Cherokee TCM communication issue

KPL

I do not know very much about cars so I'd greatly appreciate any advice on this issue as I've heard it can be very expensive. My 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited (70k miles) has lost ability to communicate with the Transmission Control Module (TCM).

I know several Jeeps had recalls related to the Powertrain Control Module. Repair for the Wrangler recall (U62) and Grand Cherokee recall (U65) is simply "Inspect the software level of the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) and if necessary, reprogram the PCM."

However, the repair for the Cherokee recall (U63) is "Inspect the software level of the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) and if
necessary, reprogram the PCM. Inspect the software level of the Transmission Control Module (TCM) and if necessary, reprogram the TCM."

All these recalls appears to be fixing the same problem, yet only one (unfortunately not the one related to my specific car) also suggests that the TCM might be an issue.

My question: is my TCM issue in fact a defect? Also, how screwed am I trying to fix this without it being included in the recall repair? Truly appreciate any advice as now is not the time for me to be making costly repairs and I love my Jeep and don't want to give it up.

Back