How high can I go???

Sully

In the future I am planning on getting a small lift to fit
some 31 inch tires.I dont want to get a lift so big that I
have to get new shafts and cv joints and all that crap.I
just want to keep it simple.Im thinken a 2 inch body lift.
Does that work or is it to high??? Thanks :wink: Sully[addsig]

I think a couple of added inches will do you just fine for those 31s :-D [addsig]

Body lift or add-a-leaf will be fine. You can also do a 2.5" spring lift without all the driveline mods. Any suspension change may require longer shocks, the BL will not. Most think BL's look bad, and can cause damage to body mounts in some cases.[addsig]

Great question Sully! So what would he(or I) need to buy if I went with the 2 1/2 " lift other than the lift kit? Steering stabalizer? shocks? Anything you can think of Bounty. [addsig]

Most 2.5inch kits come with everything you need: longer shocks, brake like relocators, possible track bar relocators, springs, u-bolts, and maybe a TC drop kit. Rubicon Express has a nicely equipped 2.5 kit for $500. It comes with all that I mentioned above. This would be optimal for fitting 31's without driveline mods.

hi_c
:cool: [addsig]

I dropped a Skyjacker softride 4" in my 83 CJ7 and didn't need any mods to the driveline. Lift kit, shocks, drop pitman, and brake lines. This would let you run 33's with no problem and not much of a price difference, if any. I was originally gonna get a 2.5" just to get 33's under mine but decided against it when I was told by the "experienced" jeepers to think a little further down the line.[addsig]

I just did a 2" add-a-few-beefy-leafs lift and it required no further mods at all... same shocks, same pitman, same driveshaft, no TC lowering. i might go with an inch or so body lift, and possibly another inch shackle... but if so.. i'll want to start looking into driveline mods... with my 2", and trimmed flares (about equivelant to tj flares)... i have 31s with plenty of room to spare... enough for about 32s

edited by: Snitty, May 23, 2003 - 05:10 PM[addsig]

I know I can run 31's stock but then it will rub on the fenders.My shocks are blown anywasy so Im gonna buy some when and if a get the lift. :wink: Sully[addsig]

why would you want a body lift. I don't like them at all. Just go with a 2 inch suspension lift and it would do the same thing and look much better!!![addsig]

I dont like body lifts much either but they are cheap. :wink: Sully

edited by: Sully, May 24, 2003 - 01:50 PM[addsig]

body lifts are REALLY easy, and REALLY cheap.. they don't do much... but if you want tires on... its an easy last resort easy lift[addsig]

BL's keep the center of gravity lower than a suspension lift of an equal height, they are inexpensive, relatively easy to install, and allow installation of larger tires, so they have some benefits. They have their place.[addsig]

the only disadvantages of them are: they don't add clearance, only half of the increase in tire diameter... they are said to put more strain on the body mounts, i don't see that it could cause much... with vehicle flex, they flex the body more, but that can be fixed with bolted or welded supports... and the longer mounting bolts are more prone to breaking, which is VERY uncommon, you're more prone to breaking something way more important.... its not a bad idea when combined with other lifts... but i would not do it just itself, though it is not bad[addsig]

Back