Jeep Tj manual sputters out dead and barely starts before sputtering out Please help!

JakeMisiaszek

So recently a few days ago I went to start my 2000 Jeep Tj manual 4cyl and drive somewhere after it had been sitting without being started for 3 days (not sure if this matters), and right when I left my driveway I drove about 2000 feet when all of a sudden I shifted into third and it started sputtering. I gave it more gas and no throttle came through and then it sputtered out and stalled/died. I started it back up and when I started it, it barely turned over she switched on and as soon as I gave it gas the sputtering started again and it instantly died. I had this problem before and my mechanic told me it was because my manifold gasket was worn out and the bolts were completely loose. I highly doubt it would be this seeing we just replaced all of this about 6 months ago. When I start it it sputters out as if you have full choke on an atv as soon as you start it and then turn choke off and it sputters out and dies. I’m a novice mechanic and would really like to get this fixed and I have no idea what it could be. I have a video and I will provide more info if anyone needs it. Please help!! -thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

Does it stay running if you give it gas/throttle?
When it did idle just before this, what were the RPMs?

You could clean the TB and IAC. Actuate the butterfly valve/TPS a number of times. Measure your fuel pressure. Key on, idle if you can and at app 3000rpm.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Does it stay running if you give it gas/throttle?
When it did idle just before this, what were the RPMs?

You could clean the TB and IAC. Actuate the butterfly valve/TPS a number of times. Measure your fuel pressure. Key on, idle if you can and at app 3000rpm.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Trying to give it throttle is what causes it to cut off/gurgle out. If it ends up starting it will gurgle to life and eventually gurgle off and if it does start and I give it gas it’s as if when I press the gas it’s cutting the fuel off, it might be some fuel issue but I’m praying it’s not the fuel pump because I know it’s going to be extremely difficult for me to do as I’ve never done it, I’m going to attach a video below of what it’s like to start it.

Last edited:
Any stored codes?

You do anything before this occurred? Work on the jeep or wheeling?

I'd check the fuel pressure. aZ or OReilly's lend tools with a CC full refundable deposit.

Does it always idle that noisy?
It has a puffing and rattling in the short idle you posted. That puff sound suggests a exhaust leak. And if the leak is at the head it could be a intake leak as well.
The rattling sounds like valves or blow by in the valves almost backfire like.
There is also a whine.. It was somewhat bird like... Like the ODPA /CPS might be an issue or out of timing.
I'd also pull the plugs and post up pics.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Last edited:

Always start with bring sure you battery snd connections are good. A bad battery or loose resistive or corroded ground can cause all kinds of problems. Load test snd shine all contact points of main battery wires and grounds.
Second is clean the IAC and TB. There is a cleaning fir dummies post out there that is great to follow.

Next check for codes. Borrow an Reader and see what is set.

Next thing to do is check your OPDA timing.
Fairly easy.
Ill post up directions later if i find them. It consists of disconnect battery. Remove plug on cyl 1 and insert long big handle screwdriver to tell when at TDC, manually crank engine until timing mark on balancer and block align snd you are at TDC, pull cover of OPDA snd verify alignment. The rest of directions tell how to adjust if out.
Since pulling plug 1 you could pull all for that inspection and makes it easier to crank engine manually.

If you change plugs be sure to use correct brand and model. This is critical in jeep engines.

To check for exhaust leaks you could tape the exhaust hose of a shop vac to your tail pipe. !!!Engine cold and off!!! Then turn the vac on and feel and listen for the leak.
If it idled longer you could spray WD 40 or TB cleaner arounf the intake and vac lines to find snd fix leaks. The idle changes when the spray gets sucked in or leak gets temp sealed.

Back