Battery Charging

Howdy all,
    I've since got a Schumaker battery charger for my charging needs to replace a pair of NAPA 85-323A chargers. This isn't the right forum I think but given all of the work done in this section I thought it may be appropriate. These 85-323A's

Battery Charging-cbb01f1403fc56478cb7251c04f10d80.jpg

seem to continue charging without going to standby mode as they did when they were new. Is there an internal switch I can repair or does anyone know of a diagnostic routine to see if these NAPA ones are actually functioning at their correct rates?

Thanks in advance for any insights.
    Gus
    Last edited by Turbogus; 04-04-2020 at 05:24 PM.
    Quick fixes are so named for how long they stay fixed.
    If you run out of gas, no matter which way you decide to push, the closest gas station will always be uphill and in the other direction. Corollary: The likelihood of running out increases when all of the nearby gas stations are closed.
    The parts shop that stocks part for Skylab II will not have parts for our year/model of Jeep.
    We cannot accurately judge the trajectory of a speeding critter (cat, dog, sasquatch).

Re: Battery Charging

I ran a voltage test on the newest and it was charging at 5.28V, the older one at 2.59V I'm thinking there's burned out diodes in these guys that I may be able to repair, if'n I can find my no. 1 phillips, and get the parts from Mouser.com or somewhere.
    If you run out of gas, no matter which way you decide to push, the closest gas station will always be uphill and in the other direction. Corollary: The likelihood of running out increases when all of the nearby gas stations are closed.
    The parts shop that stocks part for Skylab II will not have parts for our year/model of Jeep.
    We cannot accurately judge the trajectory of a speeding critter (cat, dog, sasquatch).

Battery Charging

Quote Originally Posted by Turbogus View Post
    I ran a voltage test on the newest and it was charging at 5.28V, the older one at 2.59V I'm thinking there's burned out diodes in these guys that I may be able to repair, if'n I can find my no. 1 phillips, and get the parts from Mouser.com or somewhere.

The output should be 12.5+ volts. Got to review the circuit diagram.

Here is a decent trouble shooting video.

Repair parts:
    Battery Charger Repair Parts
    Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson
    Last edited by JPNinPA; 04-04-2020 at 12:19 AM.
    "Never look down on anybody unless you're helping him up" - Jesse Jackson

Re: Battery Charging

Thanks so much JPN, I was that one the other day too. At first I thought it may be the bridge retifier but using my multi meter the Ohms & Voltage checked out, it may be a switch on the PSB that's the cause but in the meantime I was able to find my old Battery Tender Plus

Attachment 23904

that I used to use on my turbo Z bike, to keep my secondary battery up to snuff in the meantime and the Schumaker on my primary.