Battery Charging

Turbogus

Howdy all,
I've since got a Schumaker battery charger for my charging needs to replace a pair of NAPA 85-323A chargers. This isn't the right forum I think but given all of the work done in this section I thought it may be appropriate. These 85-323A's

cbb01f1403fc56478cb7251c04f10d80.jpg

seem to continue charging without going to standby mode as they did when they were new. Is there an internal switch I can repair or does anyone know of a diagnostic routine to see if these NAPA ones are actually functioning at their correct rates?

Thanks in advance for any insights.
Gus

Last edited:

I ran a voltage test on the newest and it was charging at 5.28V, the older one at 2.59V I'm thinking there's burned out diodes in these guys that I may be able to repair, if'n I can find my no. 1 phillips, and get the parts from Mouser.com or somewhere.

I ran a voltage test on the newest and it was charging at 5.28V, the older one at 2.59V I'm thinking there's burned out diodes in these guys that I may be able to repair, if'n I can find my no. 1 phillips, and get the parts from Mouser.com or somewhere.

The output should be 12.5+ volts. Got to review the circuit diagram.

Here is a decent trouble shooting video.

Repair parts:
Battery Charger Repair Parts
Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Last edited:
Thanks so much JPN, I was that one the other day too. :) At first I thought it may be the bridge retifier but using my multi meter the Ohms & Voltage checked out, it may be a switch on the PSB that's the cause but in the meantime I was able to find my old Battery Tender Plus

View attachment 23904

that I used to use on my turbo Z bike, to keep my secondary battery up to snuff in the meantime and the Schumaker on my primary.

Back