Ebrake pedal have spring???

kent rogers

I'm having trouble with my ebrake system (1975 cj5). It has the foot pedal to operate. I took the assembly out to inspect it because the pedal is very hard to depress and it does not activate the rear drum brakes. When released, the pedal only returns a short distance. I then pull it further up by hand.

I shot some lube into the front cable sheath and freed the cable up, it was very stiff. I can now work the cable through the sheath by hand. I have turned the adjustment up to max, no more threads to tighten.

When I had the assembly out I found there is no spring action to help the pedal come back up when released. Is there supposed to be a spring in the assembly to do this??? The only assist to spring back is the spring wound around the front cable on the end down by the equalizer.

I am assuming most of this type of assembly works the same, Jeep or not. I was hoping one of you members may have dealt with this type of assembly and know if there should be some assist spring on the pedal.

Next I will go into the rear brakes and see what's going on in there but hoped to verify this doubt about if the assembly is okay.

Thanks...….

Yes there should be a spring to return the pedal

Check quadratec

IMG_0926.JPG
IMG_0927.JPG

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Last edited:
I case this helps anyone else.... I have continued to work on this problem. I discovered there is no spring to assist pedal return included in the under dash assembly. The only return assist comes from the afore mentioned spring on the front cable.

I bought a new front cable and found it slides in the sheath very easily, much different than the old cable. I have not installed the new cable yet because our shop has several vehicles in it at this time and I don't want to work on the jeep out in the rain.

I am hoping replacing the front cable will solve this problem but the two cables running to the rear brakes seem to be stiff as well (all though not as bad as the front cable seemed).

I have read some comments on this problem that indicate just using the ebrake can help loosen the cables. Sounds reasonable. I hope just replacing the front cable will at least get me to that point.

I will post my result when I'm able to install and try the brake.

Part #14 or 27 in the diagram or something different?
Great! Different jeep but i had issues with the scissor mechanism on the dust shield rusting. This is what spread the pads applying pressure to the drum. They would stick and burn up the e brake.

Yes using helps.

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Last edited:
Here is a photo of my new cable and the ebrake system on my jeep.

DSC00365.JPGDSC00366.JPGDSC00367.JPG

Looks like there is another spring on the rear cables inside the brake drum. I have not pulled the drum off yet to take a look.

Glad you got it fixed.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Never look down on anybody unless you're helping them up. -Jesse Jackson

Back