Already asked this and I've changed my mind...I think

Jeeplover

I posted a question for an opinion of a V-8 engine transplant and had no replies. I am assuming the silence says "bad idea". At any rate, I think I have decided to stay with the I-6 and make some changes during rebuild. I am looking for streetability and low end grunt. A cam change is in store along with valve train. Any recommendations? I think I will go to the 4.0 head and possibly FI. With these changes and hopefully increase in torque/HP, will ny T-176 transmission hold up? The AMC-20 in back will see 1 piece Moser axles (relatively local company) and mods to the axle tube/third member junction (spot welds described in JP mag a while back). What should be done to the Dana 30 up front? Sorry this is getting long. I'll wait on replies and maybe add more later.
image-missing.png

------------------
Deny
81CJ-7; Jeep... it's an addiction; If it ain't broke, you didn't play hard enough; AND A bad day jeepin is better that a great day at work!

sounds like I've got the same setup as you, and I am leaning towards replacing my entire 4.2 with a 4.0 inclucing stock FI. I think that by the time you do all that work to put on a new head and fuel injection, It would be easier to just replace the entire engine.

I have heard that just dropping in a 360 is easy too (just need new motor mounts), but you would have alot better chance of breaking stuff.

As far as axles, I'm just gonna upgrade when I break it. I think that replacing the front axle can be difficult, with the steering and all. I do think the one piece axle in the back is a good idea.

Terry

------------------
'85 CJ-7 - 33s, total of 4.5" lift, http://www.jeepz.com/forum/engine/16904-tfi-ignition-upgrade.html

Last edited:

I'm with terry on this one... a 304, 360 or 401 should bolt up with relative ease... as far as your t-176 is concerned, some CJs in 80 and 81 had a 304 and a t-176, so it should be ok.

Checked my compression today...not pretty. The best cylinder had about 135psi compression. The rest ranged from 100 to 115. My Haynes manual lists the I-6 as having 150psi. I suppose this is an indication I need to rebuild or replace.

Stupid question time. What's the difference between the AMC 360 and the Chrysler 360? Who built the 360 for AMC (I know they sourced the engines from different manufacturers from time to time). Any help would be appreciated.
image-missing.png

------------------
Deny
81CJ-7; Jeep... it's an addiction; If it ain't broke, you didn't play hard enough; AND A bad day jeepin is better that a great day at work!

the AMC 360 is an in house motor it uses some weird parts like ford ignition chevy or chrysler trannies if automatic and depending upon year but it actually has more in common with the other AMC motors 304 & 401 than anything else The Chrysler 360 is the largest of Chryslers family of LA series small blocks the 318 the 340 and the 360.
Unfortunatly all the AMC and Chrysler 360's have in common is displacement.

------------------
93 YJ & 2001 Cherokee Limited.Past Jeeps : 94 Cherokee Country,79 Cherokee Chief ,87 YJ Sahara,75 CJ5 Golden Eagle , 82 CJ7

Thanks for the info. Kinda felt stupid asking but if you don't ask, you don't find out.

------------------
Deny

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2[/IMG]Originally posted by Jeeplover:
Kinda felt stupid asking but if you don't ask, you don't find out.

</font></BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Since I'm in the stupid asking mode, anyone have any idea the HP and torque ratings of the AMC 360 and/or 401 for varying years? There is a webpage for the short wheel base group from early '70's to I think mid 90's. The page is
http://www.off-road.com/jeep/swb/articles/specgrid.htm. Lots of good info here. Trying to figure out a combo of engine with current transmission (T-176) and diff (Dana 300) that will allow good life for the transmission. I know the '81 CJ-7 had the 304 as an option, but have the impression the HP and torque ability is not much different in stock form than the 258 of the same year. Any opinions (yeah still looking for info).
image-missing.png

------------------
Deny

Back