TJ install BFG KO2 - 33" X 12.5" X 15"

X88B88

I have a daily Driver, TJ 2000 Sport 4.0 - She has a 4" lift and 31" x 10.5" x 15" currently, I would like to upgrade the tires to BFG - KO2 - 33" x 12.5" x 15"

Considering shes a Daily driver I would like to be able to get her up to 75mph and still hit the sands on the beach

I need to ask what items I should consider regarding this change.
Drive Shaft?
Gear Ratios considering a speed (@75mph) Hwy of course.
Anything I'm not thinking of?
Etc?

TJ install BFG KO2 - 33" X 12.5" X 15"

With 4 in of lift you should be ok.
If the DS works with the 4in lift now you are fine. Any issues? DW or bump steer gets worse with larger tires.

Gears needed are in this chart. I would pick from the 4.11 4.27 or 4.56 to keep even balance.

Gear Ratio Guide for Larger Tires | Quadratec

Besides that speedo gear for correct speed. & odometer.
Jeep Speedometer Gear Tooth Chart | Quadratec

With wide 12.50 and taller you will need offset wheels or spacers to not rub
Id say equivalent backspacing to 4 inch.

What is Wheel Offset and Backspacing? | Quadratec

Last alignment. Bigger tires and BS need different alignment.

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Depends on what gears you have now.

IMHO, I've never seen a TJ lifted 4" running 33" rubber and that was safe to run at 75 mph.

To get that top end, you will either sacrifice low end performance or you'll be running very high RPMs when running at freeway speeds which puts excess wear and strain on the power plant.

Depends on what gears you have now.

IMHO, I've never seen a TJ lifted 4" running 33" rubber and that was safe to top out at 75 mph.

To get that top end, you will either sacrifice low end performance or you'll be running very high RPMs when running at freeway speeds which puts excess wear and strain on the power plant.

Good point. Ive run 33” on 2.5” lift on the highway for years but don’t hit 75 unless downhill with tailwind. Never felt unsafe on dry roads. Rain, snow or high wind is a different story. At most 72 mph but at a mpg loss. At 62-65mph best traidoff with mpg. 05 tj 4.0 6spd manual.

You do run out at 2500-2700rpm.
As far as the 4in lift i cannot comment on safety but know and seen some tj with 4” lift on 35s on the highway. Engine screaming to keep up.

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

I have 32’s on my TJ and been on the fence about putting some 33’ on it I drive on curvy pot holed roads but I can do 65/70 mph and I stay smooth. I do have danna 60 in front and 9.7 in the rear disc breaks all around 2.5 inch Rancho lift. 4.0 5 speed. After fourth gear it’s all about throttle control with speed control. So after reading this I may just stick with what I have. I get 13 mpg.

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

IMG_1493.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

Back