Ignition Help - 77 CJ5

Camp CJ5

I need some serious and fast help. My girl is in the shop now. They cannot get it started. She is a 1977 CJ5 4.2L 258. It is almost all original until the ignition issue. it has all new battery and cables, solenoid, module, distributor, cap & rotor, spark plugs & wires. Original coil is fine and new ones have been tested and it is not the coil. What they have narrowed it down to is the module. They have been through 11 modules and everyone keeps popping and not sending enough amps to keep it running.
Has anyone ran into this before?
How did you fix it?
Do I need to find a Prestolite ignition module? They have not tried a Prestolite and crown is the only one that I have found that makes it.
I want to keep this as original as possible, whereas they want to upgrade to a new ignition distributor bypassing the need for that module, coil and so on. I look forward to hearing back from many of you with any advice on getting it started.

if the distributor has been taken out. The cause of it may be that the spark is not hitting the roter where you think it should be hitting. Happened to me with a 94 yj, the spark was hitting on the very end of the roter, not in the middle. May have to play with the distributor to get it right. I couldn't figure out the problem, the dealership was puzzled at first, but then got it figured out. The distributor was not in the correct place.

Back