Cart before the Horse...a question about spacers/adapters for new set of rims/tires

JOBO

Hello,
I just made my first Jeep mistake. I bought a new set of 5 Factory 17-inch Wrangler JL Rims - Aluminum / Alloy with Michelin LTX MS2 Tires - 245/75r17 / 245 75 17 for my 2005 Wrangler X. After I purchased them, I realized that they will need adapters or spacers in order to fit on my stock Wrangler X.

I'm okay buying the adapter/spacer things...but I have no idea how they might affect the steering/handling of the Jeep. Is there a reason I should not get this set because of the adapter/spacer issue?
Please and thank you.
Screen Shot 2020-06-12 at 3.37.41 PM.png

So you bought this
7.5JJx17 ET44.5.
7.5 in wide 17 inch diameter 44.5,mm + offset 5x5 bolt pattern. 71.5mm bore

You own pic will verify. Several wheels available 05.

8Jx15 ET25.4

8 inch wide 15 in diameter 25.4mm offset 5x4.5 bolt pattern an 71.5mm bore.

So 20.5mm delta offset and bolt pattern.
6 in of backspacing JL
5.5 inch TJ
I think you need 1.5 in spacer for 5x4.5 to 5x5 adapters. That will take you from 6 to 4.5 in of backspacing.

Crown Automotive RT32001 1.5" Wheel Adapter Kit for Jeeps Changing bolt pattern from 5x4.5" to 5x5" | Quadratec

Regards,
JPNinPA

Never look down on anybody unless you're helping them up. -Jesse Jackson

Last edited:
I believe you'll need two sets of those spacers as well (I think they come in two packs for some reason). Don't forget that you may need an adapter / spacer if you want to mount the spare as well.

Let me know your experiences, I've looked at a number of really cool JK and JL wheels, but have never pulled the trigger on them.

I had them installed today. Here is a before and after picture:
befaf.jpg

Hello,
I just made my first Jeep mistake. I bought a new set of 5 Factory 17-inch Wrangler JL Rims - Aluminum / Alloy with Michelin LTX MS2 Tires - 245/75r17 / 245 75 17 for my 2005 Wrangler X. After I purchased them, I realized that they will need adapters or spacers in order to fit on my stock Wrangler X.

I'm okay buying the adapter/spacer things...but I have no idea how they might affect the steering/handling of the Jeep. Is there a reason I should not get this set because of the adapter/spacer issue?
Please and thank you.
View attachment 24077

Nice.
What size did you start with? The new look much larger. 31.5 in

Be sure to get an alignment.
You might want to correct your speedo.
And check for rubbing full turn to turn.

With 28 in tire 3.73 gears uses 36 tooth speedo and 32 in tires you need 32 tooth speedo. Easy swAp. Verify rear ratio and old new tire diameter.

Be sure to go back every once in a while and torque the spacers. Did they use some loctite on them? Anti seize?

There looks to be a rake in the front. If you want to level it out swap the front spring spacers(~0.75in) with a1.5 in spring spacers. Alignment after this.

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Last edited:
Thanks JPNinPA...
Yes, I will get an alignment.
Yes, the speedo is off. I went past an active radar sign, and I was going 3 to 4 mph faster than the speedo said at 30 mph.
Yes, I will torque the spacers from time to time. I do not know if they used loctite, but the place was great...a very professional outfit.
I'm not to worried about the rake, but now that you pointed it out, it might bug me in the future. LOL.
Thanks for sharing your knowledge.
Nice.
What size did you start with? The new look much larger. 31.5 in

Be sure to get an alignment.
You might want to correct your speedo.
And check for rubbing full turn to turn.

With 28 in tire 3.73 gears uses 36 tooth speedo and 32 in tires you need 32 tooth speedo. Easy swAp. Verify rear ratio and old new tire diameter.

Be sure to go back every once in a while and torque the spacers. Did they use some loctite on them? Anti seize?

There looks to be a rake in the front. If you want to level it out swap the front spring spacers(~0.75in) with a1.5 in spring spacers. Alignment after this.

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Back