87 yj loss of power

hello everyone, new jeep owner here. I recently bought an 87 yj. Bought it knowing it needed a little work. Person I bought it from said it ran when she parked it. But she did have the carb rebuilt and never put fuel to it. Well it needed a battery because there was bit one. Poured a little fuel down the carb and she coughed to life. Found out very shortly it needed a fuel pump(manual) and filter. Gig that replaced, then found it also needed an alternator. Replaced that. Got her running but idle was high 1200 + . Tried adjusting idle and every screw i could find on carb with no results. I looked around and found wire plugs that looked like they were supposed to be on carb. But no plugs on carb. Did some research found the wrong carb had been installed. Ordered new one hooked everything up. Still has high idle i can adjust it but I go below 1000 and it dies. Also while driving at day 55 in 5th gear. About 1200 rpms it just loses power like it was starved of fuel. I let up on pedal at it catches again. I'll let it idle for a few seconds push accelerator and it goes for a min or so and dies again. I'm not good with carbs so I'm not sure what to do next.

Sounds like a vacuum leak. Manifold to head. Plugs. Missing or damaged vac line. Carb line or base of carb...
Verify no vac leaks.

What carb did you buy and send pics so ww could verify setup or identify issues.

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Last edited:
Check your fuel pressure too.

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Back