New softop is a bit baggy

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
I've just gotten a new softop for my 2005 TJ (I'll post more on that later), and it's a bit baggy. I think it's a 97-06 top, and from what I understand, there were subtle changes in the 03-06 tops. After thinking this over, I think extending my softop frame connectors about an inch would really tighten things up a bit. These are the connectors I'm talking about

cacheJeepzImage.php

Anyone know where I could get the bottom two connectors (the ones that look like a lego guy's hand) that are about an inch longer? Any ideas on what I could fab up to make these myself?

You could likely draw these up and have them 3D printed. Check out you local library or HS shops.

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Yeah, I thought about that, but my library is only open for carryout. I'm going to keep plugging away at it.

How much longer?
Consider a rubber spacer under it. Like bike tube or shrink wrap.

I ended up pulling the screw out and drilling a new hole. Worked really well and didn't cost anything.

IMG_20200624_142047998_HDR.jpegIMG_20200624_173626833.jpeg

Sent from my moto g stylus using Jeepz.com mobile app

Those pieces are available on quadratec by a few different vendors. You might call them and ask sizes. Id also call bestop on the fit assuming you bought bestop.
I thought you meant the lego hands

I just did mine today. The top is tight the side windows are baggy. May be the top??? Ill post pics. Mine is an unlimited. They only made them a few years so there shouldn’t be any differences.

I fixed my problem by replacing the cloth straps. Mine had fallen off long ago, and I didn't think they were important, but they made a huge difference.

I took a ratchet strap and cut it up. Drilled out the rivets that held the old straps, and screwed the strap into place. I made it tighter than I thought it needed to be, and it turned out great.

IMG_20200624_171444773.jpeg

IMG_20200624_171449555_HDR.jpeg

IMG_20200624_173733440_HDR.jpeg

IMG_20200624_173737830_HDR.jpeg

IMG_20200624_173746356_HDR.jpeg

IMG_20200624_173809635_HDR.jpeg

Yes those bands do make a difference

You could likely draw these up and have them 3D printed. Check out you local library or HS shops.

How much does it cost to get something 3d printed?

How much does it cost to get something 3d printed?

No idea in general. The local library has a hobby shop. They have people to guide you and you pay for materials used plus a bit. The cost if some stuff we did was small compared to buying.

At my library the material is free, which is awesome. You can't usually book more than an hour at a time, which makes it hard for larger projects, and they ask that you don't leave the grounds (3d printing sometimes hits a snag and requires user intervention to continue).

The hardest part IMO is the schematics/files for a custom project like this.

I know of a guy on another forum that with his fiberglass tub the profile left his front roll bar higher that the windshield, I bet he wouldn't mind as a stop gap to have a slightly baggy top. :p

Back