:-? Transmission Problems 91 YJ 5 speed 4.0L

Nichles

My 91 YJ I had bought recently has 91,000 miles on it has presented a problem with the trans. I was wondering if anyone could help me try to figure out the problem I have and what would need to be replaced or repaired. I problem it has is when at a stop and left in neutral it doesn't want to go back into gear, any gear. I know the throw on the clutch pedal engages quite a ways out. I can force it into gear when I am stopped but as you try to put it in gear you can feel it load up and want to move. Also the trans doesn't make any noise, that is what is puzzling me. Obviously I do have the clutch engaged I'm not that dumb lol. So what I have to do is make sure I have it in gear before I come to a stop. I will go into gear while I am moving. I wait until around 15 to 5 mph to put it into first and it goes in fine then. My only conclusion as to the problem would be the clutch is bad, or the pilot bearing. If anyone has had this problem and could help I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks, Nichles
[addsig]

I have a 91 YJ also and I've experienced some of the same problems. My clutch would lose pressure or I wouldn't be able to shift into gears. The clutch was bad so I put a stronger one in, this solved the problems until just recently when it has become harder and harder to shift into any gear (especially first). I took it in and had the linkage on the clutch adjusted, and they actually cut away some of the floorboard around the stick shift so it has more room to move. It shifts just fine now.
[addsig]

My buddie had the same prob with his 79 cj, we replaced the mounts, and reajusted his
linkage, made the prob, go away
[addsig]

Back