Transfer Case Operation

Deerhunter30

OK....here is a stupid newbie question. I am buying a 1983 CJ7 and was wondering how to properly operate the transfer case/locking hubs. Right now I have a 1997 Chevy 4WD and it is all automatic, which I do not like......4WD should be manual....it's not a luxury like power windows.....its a necessity....I don't want to be in the mud when all these vacuum lines, electric motors and stuff decide to stop working....but that is a different story. What is the proper way to operate a transfer case and locking hubs on a 1983 CJ7?[addsig]

It is as easy as:

1) Stop vehicle, get out and lock front hubs.

2) Shift into the desired Transfer case position, 4WD high or 4WD low.

3) Go have fun!!!!!

:p

P.S. What transmission/ transfer case combo do you have??

edited by: joeycj5, Jun 03, 2003 - 05:35 AM[addsig]

I am not sure what transmission/transfer case it has. When I get it I'll find out. I know that it has a 4 speed manual tanny. Does the transmission need to be in neutral to change the tansfer case?[addsig]

You've probably got a dana 300 transfer case. I've found that it is easier to shift while moving, or if you want 4 wheel from a dead stop, put your transmission in gear and just let off the clutch a little while pulling it in 4. You'll get used to it.[addsig]

Back