New '04 Jeep Wrangler Owner - need the skinny on being a Jeep

kenjoh01

Just got an '04 Jeep Wrangler (in GREAT condition) and it's our first Jeep. Has the 4 cylinder engine which I know is a whole topic by itself. Need to get a soft top or hard top and hard doors. Give me the scoop on what stuff I should focus on. There are SO many accessories and gizmos, it's almost overwhelming. Thanks for helping the Jeep rookie.

What are your plans for the jeep?
Daily driver
Weekend showpiece
Mall crawler
Summer only
Mild 4x4
Moderate 4x4
Heavy rock crawling never see pavement 4x4

Soft tops are fun but a hard top provides more security snd protection.
You could drop a top anywhere with a soft top. Not with a hard.
Are there doors? Doors need to match the top. Soft top hardware needs to march the mfg of the top.

Bestop is the OEM for jeep.

Some run a bikini top in the summer. Or sail top.

There are soft tops that ride on the roll bars.

More about what your plans are???

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Oh I forgot

Welcome. Pics please

And you want the skinny on being a jeep... you want to be a jeep?

:)

It has a pretty sweet set-up for off-roading, but the only terrain it'll see will be city streets and the highway (assuming I figure out a workaround for the anemic 2.4). More of a family cruiser - looks great. Some concerns:

* 2.4L - I need to either deeply modify this or replace it. If I can't do over 60 on the highway, it's a major concern. My main question here is will the 2.4 be able to be modified to the point of being able to take 4 adults on the highway, or do I need to look at a swap? I've looked into turbos (solid) & superchargers (way expensive). Do any of these mods TRULY work: Throttle body spacer? Performance exhaust? Performance chips?
* The water pump went out in the first 24 hours. Had it replaced, but now I wonder how durable the 2.4L is?
* Looking at the Quadra Top with no frame. Seems like framed tops may offer an easier "tip it back" option, but they look to be more expensive.
* Weird observation. Literally no cabin storage. Like oddly scarce. Are we destined to hold stuff in out hands?!
2004 Jeep - Yellow.jpgJeep 1.jpgJeep 2.jpgJeep 3.jpg

Nice rig.

First TB spacers and chips do not work. Intakes and exhausts will with a turbo or supercharger and need the intake and TB to be opened up as well.

If you know engine, trans, gear ratio and tire size you could figure out what changes might get you to Highway cruising speeds.

Also extra weight like bumpers and wench take away too. Stuff in front of the grill will keep you running hot.

Waite! do I see side-pipe exhaust?

Yes, it does have leg pipes, although they're not set up. The guy I bought it from installed them, but disconnected them once his wife burned her leg on one. I wonder if the leg pipes would give better flow??

What deranged Jeep engineer thought installing a lawn mower engine in a vehicle was a good idea?! I thought I could work some magic on it, but it's a dog.

There are some threads in the performance section on squeezing more out of the 4cylinders.
On the 4.0 there is a tradeoff torq low end for high end HP.

I recall seeing some videos of before after dyno testing. Not sure if it was 4 cyl or 4.0L

For myself i like data.(Engineer) the seat of the pants dyno is often swayed by expectations. I added to my 4.0 an CAI, 63mm TB, port the intake to 63mm, headers and a 2.5 in exhaust. Also replaced the mechanical fan with electrical. Gained 1-2.5 mpg on the highway. The variation was how well you could keep it at 63-65mph and where you buy the gas. %ethanol.

Last edited:
Back