97 tj with a shot 5 speed

rockwrangler

I have a 97 TJ and while pulling a trailer from CA to AR 5th gear started making a bad grinding sound when i would let off the gas. I have been told that this is pretty comon. How hard is it to rebuild? and also how hard would it be to replace it with a NV4500 and what kind of additional cost other than the trans would I be looking at? :-? :-? [addsig]

Check out 4WD Hardware for a NV4500 that will bolt right in. Don't know what it'd cost to rebuild, I'd get a quote from a transmission shop. It's not to hard to remove and install the transmission, so I recommend doing this yourself to save major $$$$. Then take the transmission to the shop. The majority of their labor charge is installation and removal.[addsig]

how do you know is the transmission?i had the same problem no so long ago and it turn out it was the rear drive shaft.a way that you can find out if is the rear drive shaft is by removing it and run your jeep in 4hi,just remember that you have to put something in the back of your transfer case to cover that hole so you won't get any t-case oil.

i use to think it was the transmission too.[addsig]

Order one of those How-To videos for transmission rebuilding.
I have a buddy who does Mustang 5-speeds without any
manual at all. Rebuild kits are chump change compared
to having a shop do the work for you.
[addsig]

I would talk to the specific transmission shop before removing it myself, some charge for the rebuild and include the removal/install in that price -- so it would just mean more work for you to take it out yourself...
Also, what's your warranty situation? Don't know what warranty jeep was giving out in 97, but these days its at leat 7 years-- no sense in paying for it if you can get it for free..
[addsig]

Back