CJ5 6L 258 Vacuum mess

Kudjuk

Hi everyone,

I recently bought a resotred CJ5, physicaly beautiful, but upon inspection of the engine bay, I knew few things were not properly done.
I am not sure what diagram would fit my setup so I am looking for some help. Also what parts could fit for the CTO Switch and PCV Valve?
This is a 1979 i6 258 block, everything seems stock on it. Not sure what more info would be needed.

Thank you in advance for any help.

The brake booster cable seems fine, not sure what the black tubing hoop is for.
IMG_2044.jpg

PCV valve was shot and was wired to the clean air input, the filter is full of oil oviously and must have pressured the gasket and created leaks?
IMG_2060.jpg

The distributor is not connected to anyhting
IMG_2061.jpg

EGR Valve and Carburator directly connected to the front EGR CTO Switch. Shouldnt there be a THermal vacuum switch?
IMG_2063.jpg

the orange hose from the air filter entry goes to the carb, going all the way to the bottom of the engine and around the steering column
IMG_2064.jpg

The rear CTO Switch is dead and not connected to anything. I believe this is the issue with the rest of the build
IMG_2065.jpg

Hose coming from the bottom of the carb and was just hanging at the back of the engine.
IMG_2067.jpg

Top view of the carb
IMG_2066.jpg

Ok. My 258 is a little different than yours, but, I'll help where I can. PCV stands for " positive crankcase ventilation". You need to run the hose coming from the valve cover to a high volume vacum. ( direct to the intake manifold ). You can't have that line running to the air cleaner.
The PCV goes in the rear hole, and, the fat hose, attached to the aircleaner housing, connects that.
The distributor also needs to be hooked to a vacum, such as one coming off the bottom of the carb, that's going nowhere.
The thermal switch is in the egr valve. That's hooked up correctly.
If the aircleaner housing is WET with oil, you have blow by from the piston rings. It over pressurises the crankcase. I had that problem, with my 78. I used Engine Restore. It solved the problem. I add a can of it every oil change, just to be safe.

Last edited:
Back