faulty gas gauge

NU4x4

hi guys, today my jeep ran out of gas while the gas gauge read 1/4 full. and when i put 20 dollars worth of gas in (around 11 gallons or so i believe) it only read 3/4 full. i have a 4cyl 97, what do you guys think is the problem and how can i fix it (i hope its cheap!) thanks guys.[addsig]

You're lucky to have a fuel guage that works at all, most of us have to guess at when it's time to refill the tank. :lol: I have to get a new sending unit for mine.[addsig]

figure the mileage per gal and use your trip set button to know when you are going to need fule. YJ fule gauges are just the pits. I have a working one but do not know what I did to make it so and even after several months I still do not trust it. tug :-D [addsig]

every one of my dad's trucks has a really good homemade gas guage... a rubber hose to stick in the fill hole... if you pull it out dry, its time to fill up[addsig]

Try pulling the sending unit out of the tank and lightly sanding the stem, where the slide moves up and down. Over time, they will rust and the sliding contact will not be able to make a good connection with the resistor in the tank, so the gauge does not read correctly.[addsig]

Back