Coil VS. Spring

jhiggins

Here is the question of the hour spring or coil?
Which one gets better flex? Or is it the way you
set each one of them up? If I went with a SOA
would I get as much flex as I would with a coil
conversion or would I get less? Is it worth the
money
:-? :-D :-? [addsig]

You will limit your future suspension choices by doing the coil conversion, pretty much stuck with the design and height you purchase. With a SOA, it leaves your options wide open as to being able to run different types and heights of leaf springs.

I think it's been proven that coils have a wider range of suspension travel, but each design has it's pros and cons. Don't forget the expense involved in each type, I know you didn't ;-) [addsig]

Where would we be without your wisdom Bounty H :-? :-D :-D :-D

edited by: jhiggins, Jun 10, 2003 - 11:09 PM[addsig]

Where would we be without your wisdom Bounty--jhiggins

That an easy question: Stuck with a bunch of questions,
scratching our heads, with a stupid look on my face.

Bounty: Clear, Concise, Correct.
Thanks [addsig]

Bounty, You see to be a keg of knowledge, and I would like to tap into what you got, so here is my question for you-

What is your opinion on eliptic (I know spelling) spring set-ups with long travel shocks, with remote reseviours?

I have been researching this set up but I have found it hard to find feed back. I personally have never ridin' or wheeled with a jeep with this set up, (OK once but it was a stock durango) so I have not seen them perform first hand.

Thanks bounty

Johnny[addsig]

There is 1/4 elliptical and 3/4 elliptical. The 1/4 is half the normal leaf spring, and the 3/4 is when one end of a full leaf spring pack is attached to a "buggy spring" that can drop from the frame.

They both offer much more droop than standard leaf packs. The 3/4 can be run easily without many mods besides the buggy spring. The 1/4 needs control arms to locate the axle, much like a coil spring suspension. Lot of fabrication.

I don't think the ride smoothness will be much different than standard suspensions, they only work to increase suspension travel.

If you have a leaf spring suspension, there are cheaper and easier options to more suspension travel, such as SOA conversions, revolver shackles, Zboxes, etc.[addsig]

I have heard that the eliptical suspension systems can be REALLY bouncy... it can add a lift to the vehicle, and is capable of unheard of wheel travel... but just like the SOA... because of the added ease in flex, the springs can wear faster... and because of the ease in bounce, can increase wheel hop, and decrease traction.... i thought of going with that system long ago... I say if you can keep it from bouncing, there's really nothing wrong with it[addsig]

So if you had the choice what would be a better
route to go the "SOA or Coil" setup? Either way
they are going to be expensive but wich would be better
for the jeep???? :-?

Also zboxes?????????????? :-? :-? :-?

edited by: jhiggins, Jun 11, 2003 - 02:36 PM[addsig]

SOA is quite a bit cheaper and easier, but you have to take care of spring wrap problems. After 10 years of dealing with spring wrap with a variety of solutions (none of which worked good enough for me), I finally did a 4-link with Fox coil-overs.

Just an FYI... Your subject "Coil vs. Spring", a coil is a spring. So is a leaf. They're both "springs". I know you meant Coil vs Leaf though ;)

Z-boxes are another product that compliment Revolvers. You know how the Revolver allows the spring to twist on the shackle end? Well, a Z-box replaces the hard spring mount on the other end of the leaf and allows that end to drop away and twist. Neither of these handle spring wrap, and as a matter of fact, Revolver shackles make spring wrap worse.

A common problem with 1/4e setups is that you get a quick un-load of the spring in a tippy spot. Also, it's tough to get the front to flex as easily as the rear which leads to flopping too. If you're going to go through the trouble of creating all the links, I don't se why you wouldn't just install a coil-over shock in there and have all the adjustability in the world.

edited by: TommyJeep, Jun 11, 2003 - 01:10 PM[addsig]

Before I did my lift I wanted to get the coil conversion on my YJ. I went to three different off road shops and they all talked me out of it. First of all, it's very expensive...$3000 Canadian if I can remember right. Secondly, you don't get much more travel with the coil springs vs. leafs. I went with a 2 1/2" leaf spring lift and Revolver Shackles. With the revolvers, I get almost 9 more inches of suspension travel. They work excellent, they stand up to the abuse I give them and it's a lot cheaper than coils. I will also be doing a spring over lift eventually when I can afford my sye kit. Go with the leafs.[addsig]

Like I said money right now isn't an option I just want
the best.. and if the best cost a little more than the
other o-well that is just what I will have to live with
and eat beans and rice for a month. But I want the best
and I am kinda stuck here because I have so many different views
on this subject ..so let's all brain storm one more time ...for
me please and Which one????????????????? :-( :-( :-? :-( :-( [addsig]

All I can say is that the shops I talked to said the guys that did get the coil conversion weren't happy with the money they spent and the very little extra suspension travel they got out of it. Your have a lot more options with leaf springs for any future mods.[addsig]

If you're going to go custom and money's no object, go with long arms and coilover shocks. It's the most suspension travel, most predictable performance, and most adjustible.

If money is an object, and you don't need an all-out rockcrawler, do the spring-over.

It all depends on YOU, how you wheel, where you wheel, and what kind of money you want to spend.[addsig]

I don't want an all out rock crawler, because I am to
much in love with the hills, sand, mud, and water.
You get my drift??? I want good flex but I don't want to have to
go back and do all new suspension because I am limited to flex
like I am now, if a SOA will give me decent flex I am all about it
but if not I need some words of encouragement not to do
it.....Hope you understand.......
:-D [addsig]

SOA, with revolvers and possibly zbox... i'd say that is the best for the buck... with a traction bar as well[addsig]

I've seen many a SOA lift flex the same or better than most coil spring lifts. I've seen many a SOA conversion that scores better on the RTI ramp than most Jeeps. Straight out of the shop, with no fancy shackles or nothin, they flex really well. The added leverage by placing the axles below the spring packs really help those springs move :-D

I'd do SOA in a heartbeat if I weren't trying to keep my center of gravity low. I'll get to the same lift height with a lower center of gravity, but I don't think mine will flex near as well as a SOA. The lockers help when you have to carry a tire or two in the air :lol: There's more to wheelin than flex, sometimes too much can be bad thing :-O [addsig]

The best flex will be achieved by custom designing a link system with coil-over shocks. But like with any design, there's drawbacks. You have to cut into the tub for the upper coil-over mounts. With all the adjustability comes constant tweaking to get it right.

The best bang for your buck is SOA, Revolvers and a ladder bar. I'm not sure I'm on board with the z-box, but if you don't mind experimenting, go for that too. This would be mostly bolt on, with the exception of spring perches, ladder bar mounts and z-boxes.

Your "sand" criteria scares me a little. Do you do a lot of sand, or is it just that if a sand hill comes along your path you want to goof around on it? See, spring wrap is the major drawback of SOA. Sand hills and SOA don't get along very well, even with a ladder bar. To build SOA strong enough that you can blast up dunes, you need a ladder bar next to each leaf spring and that will limit suspension flex. You kind of have to build your rig towards the wheel'n you like to do.[addsig]

Back