33 tire on stock tire rack?

YJeep

Can I avoid an expensive tire rack and just put a 33 tire on my spare tire carrier without the worry of the tire ruining the tail gate on my 91 YJ? Or are there any other options?[addsig]

It's not recommended if you like your rear gate. I've seen them start to pull in the course of a couple weeks. Be careful when buying a tire rack make sure that it is rated for that big of a tire. A lot of the racks out there are only rated for a 31" tire. I know it doesn't make a lot of sense, but it's for the pavement pounders out there. [addsig]

I put a 31 in. tire on my 91 wrangler. It's mounted on a stock 97 alloy wheel. I had to raise it up and out about an inch each way to bolt up and also clear the bumper. I ended up trimming the right lower corner of my liftgate to clear the tire when opening it, so I'd saay a 31 is probably max for the stock mount.

take your tailgate OFF along with your rear seat and your top too, then get or make a prerunner style tire rack in the bed of the Jeep!!
:welder:

i'm gonna try and fit a 33 x 10.5 that might work, the 33 x 9.5 was too skinny for my 15 x8 rim, but had no issues for the 2 weeks it was there...

I run my BFG MT KM2 on the stock carrier; you just need to extend the bump stops to be sure the spare is tight against the Jeep and does not cause damage. I used ABS rods to extend them (mine had to be extended way out there because I had to use an extender to clear the rear bumper). Not the nicest look, but hey, it works...

Here's a shot of how it looks like:

DSC00168-1.jpg

You can also read some more about doing this here.

Felpe

Back