Considering New or Used Jeep

Stoogie453

Hi! My name is Matt and I’m considering my first Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. I’ll be working from home for a long time and will never fully go back in the office... so I want a fun vehicle to drive. I’ve driven a Lexus or Toyota for the past 14 years so this is a big change for me.

Ive test drove a Willys Unlimited and Sahara Unlimited... really loved the Sahara. What should I be looking for in a Jeep for fun but also be driven to work and with family occasionally? I’m also considered about reliability... Jeep’s do not get the best marks where Toyota does.

I’m looking for any kind of help!

Matt

Matt,
A Jeep Wrangler is not a Lexus or Toyota, so don't buy one expecting the Lexus or Toyota ride or fuel economy. You will be trading a lot of ride and some fuel economy for a bunch of fun, which is a great trade in my mind.

If you plan to carry more than 1 passenger very often, consider a four-door Jeep. The two doors are great for driver + 1, but for driver + 2 to 3, getting in back is rough if done very often.

Consider a Rubicon model if you ever plan to do much driving off paved roads. All the models you mentioned will do well off road, but the Rubicon will do it best.

If you have the patience to shop and knowledge to evaluate a used Jeep, that will save you a bunch in the long run. There are a lot if softly used Jeeps out there if you take the time to look. That said, some Jeeps get beat and it can be hard for the novice to spot them and their problems.

I have a 2002 Wrangler Sahara. I don't use it as a daily driver, but have taken it on a 2000 mile roundtrip vacation with 450 miles on dirt. The freeway drives are slow, bumpy, and noisy, so the lesson learned is to not be in a hurry in a Jeep. Also, I had to stop a lot more often than the others in the group to refuel due to a small tank and low mpg.

Jeeps are fun vehicles. They are highly modifiable. Be prepared to Just Empty Every Pocket.
And Jeeps are bricks with wheels. So mpg is not good. There are issues with every year, and model. However the issues are consistent and well documented. Esp in these forums.

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

If you plan to carry more than 1 passenger very often, consider a four-door Jeep. The two doors are great for driver + 1, but for driver + 2 to 3, getting in back is rough if done very often.

I have a 2 door jeep jk and it works for us but as noted the back seat isn't very accessible for adults. I prefer the looks and maneuverability of the shorter jeep. My wife would prefer a 4 door jeep for the rare times we have back seat passengers .... but we do have a four door car for most of those times. I don't really go 4 wheeling but need a good 4x4 to navigate my mountain driveway in bad weather.

Back