1998 TJ Steering Gear Input Shaft Seal

JeepJerk

My steering gear is leaking from the input shaft end....

There's nothing else wrong with the steering at this time, I'm about to sell the Jeep so I don't want to get further into this than needed. Have searched but not found a lot of info or videos on doing this seal, everything I've found is related to the pitman arm seal.

I could just get a remanufactured gear and as long as the pitman arm isn't too hard to get off I could probably be done in an hour. I'd rather replace the seal in the Jeep though, since there's no reason to remove the gearbox if I can do it that way.

Any tips or advice? Part number for seal kit? Thanks!

Pitman arm is easy to get off with a puller and a good pneumatic gun and a heavy hammer. Start the puller and give a few taps with the hammer. Not hard or you will damage the rear and other seals. Are you sure it is leaking there and not dripping down?

Regards,
JPNinPA

Never look down on anybody unless you're helping them up. -Jesse Jackson

It's definitely coming from the input shaft, or stub shaft as it's referred to in the FSM. There's not really a procedure outlined in the FSM for replacing the seal in the Jeep, it just describes how to remove the gear and tear it down. Looks like there are a bunch of o-rings and teflon seals in there. If they cost $25 shipped and I have to spend a couple hours replacing them I might be better off just putting a remanufactured gear in it.

On Rock Auto, Cardone offers a ship rebuild service $150.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Check this out. He makes good videos! I recall watching one where it showed the balls are of alternating sizes. Might check that if you do take it apart.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Last edited:
That's a really good video JPNinPA. It looks like the cylinder seals must be leaking, since there doesn't appear to be a seal at the end of the stub shaft. Maybe best to just buy a rebuilt gear at this point.

Back