ChatHarvey

Okay i know this happens a lot with Jeeps.

Could i purchase upgraded lifters that are better performance than the mopar lifters?

I want to replace all of them and hopefully end the tick issue.

Verify its not a spring issue or an exhaust leak. There was a few YouTube videos on 4.0 upgrades.

Check Hesco

Regards,
JPNinPA

Never look down on anybody unless you're helping them up. -Jesse Jackson

I am new tothis forum, and my son has a 2000 Wrangler sahara that he got from a friend whos mother bought it new. It has 444004 miles on the odometer, and has just developed alifter tick! I have tried Marvel mystery oil, and ATF, and it has quieted the tick somewhat. This jeep is destined for a LS/Turbo350 swap, but we want to see if we can get a few more miles out of the 4.0/5 speed first. I am considering replacing the oil pump and running heavier(20w-50) oil. Since putting in the ATF, the oil pressure goes to zero at idle, but comes back up to 40 psi at 1500rpm. Any words of wisdom from others would be appreciated

Verify your lifter tick isn’t an exhaust leak. You might check for a collapsed lifter.
Heavier oil will likely do more harm then good. 5w30 maybe but 20w50?
Oil pump is likely tired, so replacing isn’t a bad idea. But i wouldn’t do both a pump snd heavier oil.

Using a mechanical gauge minimum press on the 4.0 is 13 psi at 600 rpm. should be at 75 psi at 1600 rpm. So its not just the sending unit.

Pull the valve cover and check rocker lash.
Lash is zero.
I would first check to make sure that the rocker arms and valve tips are not misaligned due to a bent or otherwise damaged rocker arm bridge. Also check the torque of the capscrews...they should be set to 21 ft. lbs. (28 N-m). Make sure you tighten them

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Last edited:

Running ATF in the crankcase should only be short term to help clean things. Personally I wouldn't be afraid to use 10w30 in an engine with that many miles but I wouldn't use 20w50. I had to replace the lifters on the XJ [4.0] I used to have to quieten it down and it didn't have near that many miles.

Back