No start/No spark condition

JeepinJawga

Where to begin...

Well I have no spark in my 1992 Wrangler YJ 4.0 Automatic.
Here's a list of what i've replaced:
Crankshaft position sensor
Camshaft position sensor (Distributor switch plate)
O2 Sensor
Ignition switch
Ignition coil (replaced three times)
Rotor button
ASD relay
I have around 12 volts coming to my coil, but no spark coming out.
All sensors check out good.
Tested ECM pins relating to ignition. All have proper voltage and seem to be sending a signal to their respective sensors.
I've checked and polished all positive connections and grounds on battery and on the engine.
It has been sitting for 4 weeks with no sign of light, but I refuse to give up on ol girl. For now she sits waiting for more parts to be thrown at her.
Any help and information would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance.

Evan

Were the CPS and CKP sensors OEM? It makes a difference.
CKP usually has a paper gasket on the tip that sets the spacing and gets pulled off normally. If it doesn’t have this the sensor can het hit and damaged on the first crank.

Also check your battery voltage. And have it load tested. Quick test is if your lights dim a lot while cranking the battery may be in question. Or if voltage drops below (11.5 v i think) when cranking you may not get spark

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Last edited:
Yes the sensors were CPS AND CPK.

I originally installed the CKP not knowing that the spacer had to be on when installed so i had to order another one.

Plugs are bosche iridium part #9656
Plug Gap: .035

Like I previously stated, I am getting power to my coil, but no power coming out of it to distributor. That's currently where I am stuck.

As you may know (i didn't know this), the CPS on a 1992 YJ is located inside the distributor.

I had my jeep mechanic buddy install both sensors, along with the plugs for me. I will run those tests in the morning and will let you know what i find.

Last edited:

Not that is definitely an issue, but, iridium plugs require more voltage to spark and the iridium is more resistive than std copper for your vehicle.
You should be using autolite 985 copper or AP985 single platinum.

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Last edited:
My lights don't dim while cranking but I had tested the voltage and had it load tested and it passed. Replaced it anyways.

Replaced spark plugs with autolite 985 copper, also replaced spark wires with duralast gold wires.

The main issue i'm seeing right now is i'm not getting spark from my coil to my distributor.

Originally I was thinking it was a fuse issue (my jeep has been know to blow fuses during normal day to day operation) but after inspecting each fuse and replacing them, that didn't solve any issues for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

Oops wrong thread.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Never look down on anybody unless you're helping them up. -Jesse Jackson

Last edited:

Update:

Replaced spark wires, coil, and the polished a ground wire that i had unintentionally left out.

Jeep hesitated to start. Let it run for 20 minutes. Took it for a drive and it drove like a dream.

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

Glad to hear you got it running. Besides cleaning the ground, inspect the wire one even test its resistance. They can get corroded and may need to be changed.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Never look down on anybody unless you're helping them up. -Jesse Jackson

Back