Auxiliary Battery and Remote Control DuraBrite lights

DieselJerry

So this is a bit of a long story. I live here in Maine and I am a marine diesel mechanic and systems tech at a boatyard. This time of year we get hurricane left overs and heavy Nor’easters. Due to this weather and our location we get several power outages this time of year. This causes a bit of a problem when you have to walk the docks to check boats. Flash lights...yup they are ok, until you need both hands. Head lamps are ok to but really haven’t found one to push out a lot of light to contend with heavy rain. Both of those items rely on batteries. So I decided to put some lights on my Jeep to light up the docks. Not just any lights, DuraBrite Nano’s. 7000 Lumens at a small 3.8 amp draw. Even with such a small draw I was concerned about battery life for my Jeep, and I am not a fan of prolonged idling. So I decided to install an Auxiliary battery. This allows me to run the lights until I drain the battery. Then simply start my Jeep, turn on my parallel switch and recharge the auxiliary battery. I also went ahead and installed an auxiliary fuse panel for any future add ons. I still need to install a voltmeter for the aux battery and I may install an ACR to make the system more hands of, but that will have to wait until I change the type of aux battery from the current lead acid to an AGM or lithium ion.
IMG_3936.JPG
IMG_3937.JPG
IMG_3938.JPG
IMG_3848.JPG
IMG_3849.JPG
IMG_3807.JPG
IMG_3939.JPG
IMG_3940.JPG
The aux fuse panel is hidden neatly under my gun storage. All future wiring will be run out of the glove box. Making it easily accessible. Also plenty or room to hide wire runs.

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

Nice!
Consider marine batteries that allow deep cycling or at least handle it more times.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Never look down on anybody unless you're helping them up. -Jesse Jackson

Last edited:
Yeah the lawn and garden battery was $50. A marine AGM is $75 and the lithium ion is $350. I went cheap for now. As soon as my Jeep budget replenishes itself I will upgrade battery, and use a ACR for charging.

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

Back