Will a front disk brakes from a 77 CJ5 bolt onto a 74 CJ5 axle?

Scsmith42

I've recently acquired a stock '74 CJ5 project jeep, and have the opportunity to pick up a stock '77 CJ5 for parts. The '74 will be kept relatively stock for farm use as well as the occasional trip to town.

Jeep on trailer.jpg

My main motivation regarding acquiring the '77 is that it has disk brakes on the front end, versus drums on the 74.

What are the differences between the two axles? Thus far I discovered that the spring widths may be different, but I have not found out if the front disk brakes, master cylinder and power assist from the '77 would be a bolt on to the 74 axle.

Can anybody steer me in the right direction?

Thanks much.

Scott

Easiest way to determine is compare replacement parts. You could do this on a website lookup. Rockauto, O’Reillys, AZ...NAPA

One thing to be some to be leery of is hat height on rotors. This doesn’t have rotors but others will read this as general knowlege.

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Easiest way to determine is compare replacement parts. You could do this on a website lookup. Rockauto, O’Reillys, AZ...NAPA

One thing to be some to be leery of is hat height on rotors. This doesn’t have rotors but others will read this as general knowlege.

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

JP, thanks for the response. Unfortunately disk brakes were not an option in 1974, so there are not any replacement part comparisons available from the standard auto parts suppliers.

Never mind. Sorry I understand what you are asking now.

My initial response was not what you needed.

From 1972-1983, the Dana 30 was used in the CJ-5.

Last edited:
Back