low speed hesitation

mark sr

About a week ago I noticed when I turned right on the last switchback coming up my driveway that my jeep momentarily lost power. At first I thought maybe my foot slipped off the gas pedal. Twice today while coming back to town it did it also. Both times I was at a near stop making a right hand turn. It's done this about a half dozen times or so - mostly on my driveway. When it happens the electronic stability control light will come on for a few seconds.

Could this be an issue with traction control?
2010 jk, 81k miles

It could be traction control.

Id first clean the TB and IAC. Ensure connections to both IAC and TPS are good.
I had a loose TPS connection that did this.

Id also check the battery. Bad connections. Shifting or failing cell does weird things.

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Last edited:
Is your steering wheel centered? If you lifted and didn't center the wheels or center the steering this will trip traction control on right turns. jK only.

And check your tire pressure.

Possibly one of your speed sensors if the above checks out.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Never look down on anybody unless you're helping them up. -Jesse Jackson

Last edited:
Steering wheel is centered, stock suspension. Tire pressure light hasn't come on so I assume all tires have at least 35psi. I check everything out when the sun comes up ..... and before the rain comes down.

I just added air to our tires again. All summer it was good 37 psi in cars 25 in jeep. When it gets cool, the pressure drops to 30 in cars in 12-15 in jeep. Of course the jeep tires are larger. And, no, there are no leaks. Will fill again in Jan/Feb when it gets really cold.

The issue is when turning the outside tires should spin more revolutions than the inside. When the steering wheel registers a turn and the tire RPMs are not different as expected it assumes you are sliding. Lifting makes the steering wheel slightly right, so when going straight it thinks you are turning.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Never look down on anybody unless you're helping them up. -Jesse Jackson

Last edited:
The tire pressures were good, none were under 34 psi. I mis spoke earlier, the light comes on when the tires get down to 33 psi. They all have 35psi now. I replaced the rear left side wheel speed sensor. I didn't have time to test drive it other than going to the mailbox but there was no hesitation going up and around the last switchback. I hope to know more later today.

Seems to drive ok although I haven't put more than a dozen miles on it.

I wish when I had bought my code reader I had spent a little more. Apparently the next model is the one that also reads ABS and air bag info. Supposedly it gives specific info on which speed sensor is bad or failing without having to jack up the wheel and crawl under the vehicle.

Back