Used MSD ignition, is it worth it?

Turbogus

Hi gang, a few years ago I was having spark carburation issues on 'Black Betty', I went with better plugs, MSD wires MSD Cap, and the large Ford Cap adapter following JeepHammer's excellent posts. Then I had a career meltdown, had some scheissekerl new supervisor that demanded to ignore customer service for thievery company revenues.

So I put the ignition box on hold as 'BB' was running good and has since these mods. I've come across a few 2nd hand MSD 6A's and as they're solid state, should I have concerns about a used box? I know I'll have to purchase an adapter for the Ford style distributor but I have the pns. from JeepHammer to keep me straight.

125451954_180884943634450_9095810735476352728_o.jpg

Thanks in advance for your input!

Gus

Last edited:

There are tests
Call msd

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Thanks so much JPN, it's so good to receive your post as I've come to rely on your information. I would go with a new digital one but re-reading JeepHammers' posts he favored the non digital type for some reason.

I think I remember JeepHammer mentioning the 6A analog box as it was a sealed unit for concerns of water crossings (or the infamous Oregon rains) ;) I don't think the digital ones are, unless I mistook the point he was making. At any rate I had a finances scare yesterday so it looks like I'll have to hold off on this MSD. At least I have the accompanying elements already in place.

Is the rest of your ignition stock? It's been >20 years since I had my CJ7, but when I did the TFI ignition upgrade it was like night and day. A bigger distributor cap, better wires, and the new ignition coil made everything so much better. Never had an MSD though.

I noticed a difference too! The motor runs like a top now. As I had a carbon issue on one of the intake valves I think I'm wanting a hotter spark. So far I went with getting everything ready so I purchased an MSD rotor cap and wires, the high volt TSI horizontal coil and the big block Ford adapter.

Distributor.jpg I made the bracket for this out of the bracket for the canister coil tfi_bracket_1.jpg tfi_bracket_2.jpg and made the alignment tab out of an aluminum can TabAlignmentNotch01.gif

...so save for the ignition box itself I think I'm ready to go.

Back