Used MSD ignition, is it worth it?

Hi gang, a few years ago I was having spark carburation issues on 'Black Betty', I went with better plugs, MSD wires MSD Cap, and the large Ford Cap adapter following JeepHammer's excellent posts. Then I had a career meltdown, had some scheissekerl new supervisor that demanded to ignore customer service for thievery company revenues.

So I put the ignition box on hold as 'BB' was running good and has since these mods. I've come across a few 2nd hand MSD 6A's and as they're solid state, should I have concerns about a used box? I know I'll have to purchase an adapter for the Ford style distributor but I have the pns. from JeepHammer to keep me straight.

Used MSD ignition, is it worth it?-125451954_180884943634450_9095810735476352728_o.jpg

Thanks in advance for your input!

Gus
    Last edited by Turbogus; 11-24-2020 at 01:47 AM.
    Quick fixes are so named for how long they stay fixed.
    If you run out of gas, no matter which way you decide to push, the closest gas station will always be uphill and in the other direction. Corollary: The likelihood of running out increases when all of the nearby gas stations are closed.
    The parts shop that stocks part for Skylab II will not have parts for our year/model of Jeep.
    We cannot accurately judge the trajectory of a speeding critter (cat, dog, sasquatch).

Re: Used MSD ignition, is it worth it?

There are tests
    Call msd

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson
    "Never look down on anybody unless you're helping him up" - Jesse Jackson

Thanks so much JPN, it's so good to receive your post as I've come to rely on your information. I would go with a new digital one but re-reading JeepHammers' posts he favored the non digital type for some reason.
    If you run out of gas, no matter which way you decide to push, the closest gas station will always be uphill and in the other direction. Corollary: The likelihood of running out increases when all of the nearby gas stations are closed.
    The parts shop that stocks part for Skylab II will not have parts for our year/model of Jeep.
    We cannot accurately judge the trajectory of a speeding critter (cat, dog, sasquatch).

Check this out Differences Between MSD 6 Series Ignitions - YouTube

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson
    "Never look down on anybody unless you're helping him up" - Jesse Jackson

I think I remember JeepHammer mentioning the 6A analog box as it was a sealed unit for concerns of water crossings (or the infamous Oregon rains) I don't think the digital ones are, unless I mistook the point he was making. At any rate I had a finances scare yesterday so it looks like I'll have to hold off on this MSD. At least I have the accompanying elements already in place.

Is the rest of your ignition stock? It's been >20 years since I had my CJ7, but when I did the TFI ignition upgrade it was like night and day. A bigger distributor cap, better wires, and the new ignition coil made everything so much better. Never had an MSD though.
    My 2005 Wrangler Build Thread

“He who is without oil shall throw the first rod.” -Compressions 8.7:1

I noticed a difference too! The motor runs like a top now. As I had a carbon issue on one of the intake valves I think I'm wanting a hotter spark. So far I went with getting everything ready so I purchased an MSD rotor cap and wires, the high volt TSI horizontal coil and the big block Ford adapter.

Used MSD ignition, is it worth it?-distributor.jpg I made the bracket for this out of the bracket for the canister coil Used MSD ignition, is it worth it?-tfi_bracket_1.jpg Used MSD ignition, is it worth it?-tfi_bracket_2.jpg and made the alignment tab out of an aluminum can Used MSD ignition, is it worth it?-tabalignmentnotch01.gif

...so save for the ignition box itself I think I'm ready to go.