2.5L blues

Jeepthing

I have a 2000 Tj, 5speed 2.5L. An engine swap will come in two to three years. But for now I am looiing for something to make interstate travel possible. I am running 32x 10.5, a cold air intake and throttle body spacers, what other mods can i do? HELP![addsig]

The best and most recommended mod to get your performance back that you lost after adding larger tires is to regear the axles. 4.56 if you have the auto transmission, 4.88 if you have the 5speed.

Other than that, Rusty's Offroad has a very affordable cat-back exhaust that uses the Flowmaster 50 DeltaFlow muffler, it will improve exhaust flow which compliments your improved intake flow.

Bolt-on a 4.0L throttle body, it's the same but with a larger bore. You'll need one from a '96 or newer 4.0L since it has the MAP port at the base of the TB. Reuse the 2.5L IAC housing and sensor, it's on the passenger side of the TB and held on by 4 tamper-proof torx.

Get a highperformance coil, saw one in either FourWheel Drive Hardware or Quadratec, can't remember where. You can then increase plug gap on the Champion truck plugs to .045 or .050" and run some performance coil wires. This will help burn the fuel.

I bought a .450" lift .256 duration Mopar Performance camshaft for my 2.5L off of Ebay for about $40, you can get them cheaper. Search 'Jeep Camshaft', they are being sold by Kohler Dodge out of Naperville. You'll need new valve springs and retainers for a cam with that much lift.

This is just for starters, hehe. The 2.5L is a fun little engine, I like mine. Who knows, you may decide to keep it, I will. It's easier to maintain, runs cooler, weighs considerably less, and can generally go where the big HP dogs go, with the proper gearing.[addsig]

Just let em pass and wave like an idiot! You will never have a speed demon out of that 4 banger but a good slow steady run wins the race. I love my little under powered 4 banger and plan to keep it going and going and going and well you get the pic. tug[addsig]

a 2.5 will move it... and will move it well.. just be patient in where you go.. with the right gears, you can reach most speed limits[addsig]

Sell your truck now and buy a 2000 six banger. More horsepower for the buck with less labor hours and problems than mods. You should be able to sell yours and get a another used truck for slighty more money. You will be alot happier in the long run. I had a 1980 cj-7 with the Iron Duke 4 Cyl. Was sooooo sorry i didnt buy the six.[addsig]

Back