Help! Ticking noise

bpjku2008

[FONT=&quot]Hey Guys,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I've got this issue with my 2008 Jeep Rubicon w/ 190k miles. Its making this ticking noise and I cannot figure out what it is. It originally had cracked exhaust manifolds which I replaced. I then did an engine oil flush with liqui moly and added lifter additive with 5w-20 fully synthetic and a new mopar filter. I just did another oil change 200 miles later with 5w-30 and lucas oil stabilizer and at that time added lucas fuel injector cleaner. I ended up getting a misfire last night and put in new NGK spark plugs which got rid of the misfire. Today, I cleaned out all the fuel injectors using carb cleaners and a battery to cycle it through them. Put the injectors back in along with a new one for cylinder 5 where the misfire was coming from (darn injectors at dodge cost $112 a piece and the only had one). Anyways, there is still this loud ticking/tapping noise coming from the engine. Funny thing is at cold starts, it will not tick until around 30 seconds of idling. It did this after both oil changes and on every cold start that I can remember. Dash is currently clear and there are no codes. I used a stethoscope and could hear ticking that looks like it is coming from under the intake manifold so I suspect that is where it is. I also hear a tiny bit of ticking coming from the valve covers but I assume that is just normal and I would assume it isn't lifters/rockers since on cold starts it does not make the tapping noise. The noise also increases when I step on the gas pedal but the second I release it, it goes away then comes back when it idles. I'm going to post the link to a video of what the noise sounds like. Does anybody have an idea on what it could be? Also if anyone is in the Sacramento CA area, I am willing to take it over to a shop that anyone recommends. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=jMFZCHUb8lQ[/FONT]

Do you have or could you borrow a code reader that can look at the sensor readings live?
Id look at the temp sensor and the upper O2 sensor maybe fuel trims.
You could determine if you have an intake/vac leak or exhaust leak or slow O2 sensor.
The video will be helpful.

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Last edited:
Link fixed

Saw this recently in my feed:

Last edited:
Here is another video

I found before sending one of the heads in for a stuck valve that 3 the valve top retainer plates had come loose, but that was on my 360.

Back