Oil type & weight

MCluvsacj5

First post in about 5 years, got busy.
I had been using 10w30 oil in my 304, do I need to use a multi weight oil or straight 30 or 40 weight ? It has a 4 barrel & very heavy cam. Input pls. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Oil type & weight

“Bob is the oil guy” has lots of info on motor oil.

What is your oil pressure at idle and ar 2k rpm?

10w30 is good id be sure to add or use oil with ZDDP for good CAM wear.

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Last edited:
Idle oil pressure is 35 to 40, 2000 rpm around 45 psi. Forgot to mention, I live in an area where summer temps are 90 to 110 degrees if that makes any difference.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Oil type & weight

ZDDP lowers wear on lifters cam and bearings.
Pressure seems fine. If you increase weight pressure will increase. Volume may drop.
Do you have an oil cooler added? Oil coolers will help maintain viscosity and lengthen time to degradation and burning.

Some 304 may have a filter bypass that using higher weight will bypass. The filter leading to faster wear.

The coolant, radiator, water pump and thermostat cool your engine. So even on mild 60 deg days the engine reaches the same temp. It gets harder when it is hotter out to main the temp but if the correct parts are there it will be maintained.

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Use the type of oil originally specified for the engine. Fir exampke, don't use 20w-50 in an engine designed for 5w-30. The engineers that designed the engine do know a few things.

Use the type of oil originally specified for the engine. Fir exampke, don't use 20w-50 in an engine designed for 5w-30. The engineers that designed the engine do know a few things.

Definitely follow the recommended oil viscosity as stated in the manual, and adjust according to climate. Just this winter, my uncle took his Wrangler from Atlanta to MI and he use 5W-20. It also got a new set of tires and shocks from 4Wheelonline and he had a smooth trip.

IMO the only reason to increase the oil viscosity from the factory specs is when the engine is old and tired. Even then I'd only bump it up one notch.

Back